Second Skin Audio

Slot Ported HDS315 Box Build

IMG_20151202_112625_113_zps6m66efzk.jpg

I threw the 4 10s that were planned for my wifes truck in the back just to try something before I pulled it all out. All playing the same thing on the same amp. Series / parallel on the 10s and parallel with the 15s for a grand total of 1.5 ohms. With 2/3 of the power going to the 15s I still got some lows and the upper bass was amazing. Kick drums would make my hair move and tickle my nose. These are sealed boxes. It still had a nice roll off on the bottom end and did not sound uneven except it needed 2 more 15s. I thought i have to keep this but I wanted 4 15s too but it wouldnt all fit. I want to have my cake and eat it too. I needed to save space and increase output at the same sound so ported was the only way to go. I had a biamped system in the early 90s so i know it can be done.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Still seems weird to me, the upper extension is just as loud in mine.

Yes but you roll off below port tuning. That's the difference.

Back in the day i had 2 Kicker 15s in the trunk and 2 Kicker 8s with 2 Kicker 6X9s in the rear deck with Polk 6.5 separates in the door. The 15s were on a Punch 200 crossed to play 60hz and down. All the rest were on a punch 100 two channel bridged 3 way crossed to play 60hz and up with the 8s on a passive crossover to play 250hz and down. So the 8s were 60hz to 250hz. The only change i made was to put the 6X9s on a separate Soundstream amp to keep the sound stage forward.

Pioneer 80PRS

True, but I can play down to about 28-27 before it starts to roll off significantly. So I don't really lack any lows.

This is all based on my ear, I have never metered the truck.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

True, but I can play down to about 28-27 before it starts to roll off significantly. So I don't really lack any lows.

This is all based on my ear, I have never metered the truck.

There have been so many changes in car audio since the early 90s, but nobody seems to be doing what i want to do. You have the lows you want. I have lower lows and i want it all. LOL!

Pioneer 80PRS

Its kind of like the guys with the infinite baffle home theater subs. A lot of movies have sounds so low you can feel them more than hear them. These guys have better and lower lows than the THX systems at the theaters. Of course they have better highs to go with it too.

Pioneer 80PRS

realistically there isn't a lot of music that goes much lower than the mid 20s. Obviously some slowed/altered music does but not even all of that goes that low. Even with that though, ported boxes shouldn't have a problem playing above tuning. Lots of SQ guys tune way down and still only use a single size sub stage. There is a point that you need something else but at that point you can do that with some midbass which need to be staged correctly. I think you can accomplish what you need without overly complicating things.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

realistically there isn't a lot of music that goes much lower than the mid 20s. Obviously some slowed/altered music does but not even all of that goes that low. Even with that though, ported boxes shouldn't have a problem playing above tuning. Lots of SQ guys tune way down and still only use a single size sub stage. There is a point that you need something else but at that point you can do that with some midbass which need to be staged correctly. I think you can accomplish what you need without overly complicating things.

Yes good point. Midbass correctly staged would be ideal. I thought about putting 1 or 2 8s in each door. Then the stage would stay up front. Would they overlap between the subs and existing fronts or be crossed over with the front stage?

Pioneer 80PRS

Archived