Second Skin Audio

Slot Ported HDS315 Box Build

I think mostly depends on how you amplify them, unless I am missinderstanding your question.

I was thinking 2 in each door on a 4 channel amp. I was just wondering about the crossover points and what frequency range people normally would run them at? High pass or band pass maybe?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

How well does those hsd315's sound ? Quality ?

They sound very good to me as far as distortion goes. I remember back in the day with big woofers and single voice coils they would kind of buzz at higher frequencies sometimes when they got loud. These are just as clear when they get loud as they are when the volume is low. Until i upgrade the electrical i havent been able to develop full power so i havent been able to make the subs complain. I think i smelled the voice coils once though. Its the truck that does all the buzzing. I have been gluing the plastic trim and pannels down with clear RTV. It seems like every time i fix one, another one starts doing it. LOL!

Pioneer 80PRS

They sound very good to me as far as distortion goes. I remember back in the day with big woofers and single voice coils they would kind of buzz at higher frequencies sometimes when they got loud. These are just as clear when they get loud as they are when the volume is low. Until i upgrade the electrical i havent been able to develop full power so i havent been able to make the subs complain. I think i smelled the voice coils once though. Its the truck that does all the buzzing. I have been gluing the plastic trim and pannels down with clear RTV. It seems like every time i fix one, another one starts doing it. LOL!

Cool deal man, im really drawn to those soundqubed subs. My next choice was gonna be sundown SA but i think the soundqubed HSD315's might work better for my budget. I just bought a new 3 bay MAC tool box so my car audio fund is now lower on my "needs" list :(

Cool deal man, im really drawn to those soundqubed subs. My next choice was gonna be sundown SA but i think the soundqubed HSD315's might work better for my budget. I just bought a new 3 bay MAC tool box so my car audio fund is now lower on my "needs" list :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry i still don't know how to quote. LOL!

Im not sure how i heard about Soundcubed. I think i was lurking here and someone was talking about them. It was black Friday and they were having a sale. I spent the whole day researching them and crunching the numbers and ordered them that evening. 3 bay MAC box, NICE! We need a workshop / garage section here! Or drop a couple of pictures right here if you can.

Pioneer 80PRS

One thing to note about the HDS315:

These subs are designed to get LOUD and sound GOOD and if thats all you want then this is it. BUT, this comes as a cost as always it is a compromise. The best part is that you can get a 5db gain from the port but this is also bad because you now have a big bump in your response curve right there. Combine this with the speakers high Q and low VAS and you have a response that is very peaky. This is fun in its own way too, but if you are looking for flat response then this is not it.

This is my first ported sub. Normally what I would do is design a sealed system and (incorrectly as i am now told LOL) not tune but maybe adjust the Q of the enclosure to get the desired resonant frequency. Which i would select as some low value so the response would not peak and even be down slightly but the curve would have a very gradual roll off. I would then EQ boost (easy to adjust to get it just right) at about 35hz or so to try to regain some output and then cross over at 50hz. This would be the sub stage. This is how the biamped bass came about. Devide the frequency range into a high and a low with the upper bass band pass at 50hz up to about 150hz. The higher bass would be a couple of 10s or what ever fit in the remaining space on a separate amp.

Pioneer 80PRS

• 2 months later...

Welcome to SMD!

Pioneer 80PRS

Archived