03 Suburban starting issues

Truck is a 2003 Chevy Suburban. Went to drive it earlier, turned the key and nothing happened. The Suburban is completely stock as of now but in the process of putting a 2nd alt and upgraded batts in once DC Power ships. Hooked it up to my Cav which has a 270xp and a d3100 to jump it, turned the cav on for a minute or two and tried turning the truck on. Nothing happened, no sounds or anything when I turned the key. I take the jumper cables off, go to close up the truck and somehow it all turns back on but I accidentally turn the key back off immediately since I wasn't expecting it to work.

Not sure what the problem may be, going to try hooking factory wiring up to a d3100 one of these days when I get the chance to check if it's just the battery but I would think that if it was the battery it wouldn't have started after I unhooked the jumper cables and tried starting it again. A little confused, not extremely familiar with diagnosing problems so I'm not sure if it may be a starter issue, fuel filter, etc. I tried researching and all of these came up as potential problems.

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks!

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Ok so to clear things up, have you tested voltage, battery contact, and whether or not the key turns any of the electronics on? If not start there, if you have done all that and you are getting proper voltage out of the battery, the terminals are good tight and not caked up, and the electrical doesn't come on (I.e. radio headlights instrument cluster chime etc) then it'll probably be an ignition switch. Check fusing to the ignition switch as well.

Appreciate the help guys, it's weird because battery read fine and accessories would come on when I turned the key slightly. The battery was apparently no good, and when I fully turned the key to crank it that would completely drain the batt. Then I'd leave it sitting for a few min and it would regain just enough juice for the accessories to work and read fine. Figured it out by disconnecting pos and neg from batt and hooking up to one of my xs power outside of the vehicle.

Now if only I could get this coolant leak figured out...

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

• 1 month later...

We had the same thing with a 'Burban in our shop....customer would get random no starts. After us telling them 4 times it was the starter they finally replaced it and havent had an issue since.

2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition-Singer 240A Alt, Odyssey Battery,Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head-unit, Pioneer GM-DX874 powering Kicker CSS67 front-CSC5 rear, and Memphis PR 1.1000 powering 12in SSA ICON in G.P. ported box.

2003 Tahoe-320A Alt, Odyssey Batt,2 Resilient Sounds Gold 15's sealed powered by Crescendo BC2000D, Turbulent Designs Ported box AVH601EX head unit and Pioneer 3ways in all doors.

Archived