Help with choosing a graphics card.

The GTX 970 is the best card in it's price range. I'd probably opt for the EVGA GTX 970 FTW if I were going that route... One thing though. That card is not going to get you 60FPS @ 1440p on current titles. You need a GTX 980Ti or a R9 Fury X to get that kind of performance.

Here is a review that shows performance of most of the mid to high end cards:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_980_ti_lightning_review,20.html

They are using a i7 5960X @ 4.4GHz on a X99 board with 16GB 2133MHz DDR4 memory in that test, so your system will be a little bit slower with any of those cards.

Also, another thing to mention here is 8GB of RAM is no longer enough for newer video games if you want to start maxing out all of your graphic settings. It's also important to have faster DDR3 RAM as video RAM is often offloaded to the system RAM for overflow. I highly recommend upgrading your RAM to something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?rItem=N82E16820231589

Ok I think my expectations are a little high, there's no way I can afford a 980. Witch is fine I'm new to this so I'm learning and going back to the memory this is what I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233675 it was given to me with the motherboard so I can't complain. Just to save a few dollars would I see a noticeable performance difference in buying another 8gb of the corsair or buying what you recommended?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8gb of ram is fine, if you get to the point where you're offloading video ram to system memory your performance will suffer.

Games like GTA5 that stream data constantly might see a performance increase from 8gb to 16gb but running all your memory slots full vs only one stick of ram per channel tends to degrade performance.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

screw those nividia cards. AMD R9 is the only way to go

• 4 weeks later...

I would choose from Nvidia cards, I am not a fan of AMD. Check these guys out I have always used them and gotten some really good deals: http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&N=4294966937+4294946479&myStore=false

I just got 2 MSI GTX970's and love them, and they would prob do you well, but a friend I game with regularly games @ 1440 with no problems on a 980......but that can get costly

Trying to game at anything higher than 1080p with a constant minimum of 60fps is expensive. It can be done, but the game's graphics settings must be set back a bit, which in my eyes. Is not a good trade. Trade game look quality for a bigger resolution isn't justified. You will like 1080p maxed out @ 60fps better then a 1440p @ 60fps at high settings ax maximum. Also, if you are used to console games and how they look. Very few console games even play at full 1080p resolution with 60fps, there is a very small number of games that do it.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

256 bit of a 980Ti vs 512 bit of 390 isnt that much of a deal, the 980 has higher memory speeds to make up for the lower bus width (its not a buffer).

The biggest issue is the 970/980 dont fully support DX12 asynchronous compute so upcoming games may incur a performance penalty. I say may, because it will depend on a few things and might end up not an issue.

The 970 is an ok card but has the annoying 3.5gb/0.5gb partitioned memory controller which can cause issues in some circumstances.

As to drivers, I have been using nV/AMD/ATi/3dfx cards since day 1 of this merry-go-round and they all have issues. AMD/ATi had installation issues that was the largest cause of frustrations for a long time, but recently they've been doing much better. The "Crimson" driver set is pretty good other than a few lame-brain issues with the GUI so far. There does seem to be an issue with Crimson and Afterburner conflicting but most people find it is resolved by re-installing Afterburner (newest Afterburner version supposedly fixes this as well). nV's biggest issue is the display driver timing out (windows has a counter that times things to see if they have "crashed") and causing display resets... some systems are more prone to this than others.

I used to have an R9 290x, but it died from an accident, lol. So now i'm using an R9 280X and it was running my games (GTA5, BF4, D3, WoW) fine at 2560x1600 using an i7 2600K @ 4.7 and 16gb ram at 2133mhz before I gave the monitor to a GF. She's using a 7950 and all she plays is WoW, works perfect lol.

What do you have currently for video card? 7970/280X's are dirt cheap (gpushack.com) and would hold you over for 3-5 months for the next new cards to come out and be a good backup card to keep around. Also GTX780Ti's are great cards, they will keep up with GTX980Ti's if you overclock them a bit ;)

980Ti has a 384bit bus, the 980 has a 256...

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

256 bit of a 980Ti vs 512 bit of 390 isnt that much of a deal, the 980 has higher memory speeds to make up for the lower bus width (its not a buffer).

The biggest issue is the 970/980 dont fully support DX12 asynchronous compute so upcoming games may incur a performance penalty. I say may, because it will depend on a few things and might end up not an issue.

The 970 is an ok card but has the annoying 3.5gb/0.5gb partitioned memory controller which can cause issues in some circumstances.

As to drivers, I have been using nV/AMD/ATi/3dfx cards since day 1 of this merry-go-round and they all have issues. AMD/ATi had installation issues that was the largest cause of frustrations for a long time, but recently they've been doing much better. The "Crimson" driver set is pretty good other than a few lame-brain issues with the GUI so far. There does seem to be an issue with Crimson and Afterburner conflicting but most people find it is resolved by re-installing Afterburner (newest Afterburner version supposedly fixes this as well). nV's biggest issue is the display driver timing out (windows has a counter that times things to see if they have "crashed") and causing display resets... some systems are more prone to this than others.

I used to have an R9 290x, but it died from an accident, lol. So now i'm using an R9 280X and it was running my games (GTA5, BF4, D3, WoW) fine at 2560x1600 using an i7 2600K @ 4.7 and 16gb ram at 2133mhz before I gave the monitor to a GF. She's using a 7950 and all she plays is WoW, works perfect lol.

What do you have currently for video card? 7970/280X's are dirt cheap (gpushack.com) and would hold you over for 3-5 months for the next new cards to come out and be a good backup card to keep around. Also GTX780Ti's are great cards, they will keep up with GTX980Ti's if you overclock them a bit ;)

980Ti has a 384bit bus, the 980 has a 256...

Derp, yes. Also forgot to mention Delta color compression which helped the 980/9700 and has obviously been carried over to newer cards as well (newer AMD cards have it too) ; )

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived