do some freelance work and build up a "professional" portfolio, it'll help out, but while youre just starting out doing freelance stuff expect the pay to be just a cut above being spit on.

Edit- i'm also in the process of getting to school for some sort of graphic design and/or programming of some sort, havent dialed in what exactly yet, but i used to ask the managers or owners of places i worked if they would be willing to pay me to redo a website/logo/menu/etc. at a lower pay then the guy that they had hired, they all gladly agreed knowing they could rip off an 18 year old kid but it allowed me to build up a portfolio that will hopefully be of some use to me once i have the degree, if not the extra money was nice.

thats the thing about digital art, not many understand it fully and theres quite a few odd and unique places that you'd never think to look that are in desperate need of some work done, ask around locally and check out online, theres plenty of (hopefully decent paying) freelance work around until you find something more secure.

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

I've tried to get into freelance work. It's like a competition against people who have more experience than me, which doesn't mean I couldn't ever win. I've tried for jobs that I thought I could do, haven't beat anyone for those jobs yet. I keep trying thought. Can't get anywhere if I just give up. I think if I had a better portfolio that would help. Odd thing is that people seem to like my photography better than anything I've done in Graphic Design, and I haven't taken any classes for that. All I can do is keep trying to find freelance work.

Archived