Would anyone actually pick AMD over Nvidia?? read for more info

The only upside to anything I can find for AMD hardware is that it is cheap. However, with cheap comes the obvious downsides such as added heat and higher power consumption (kinda goes hand in hand I guess).

If you are desperate for a computer upgrade go ahead and get AMD. You can get FPS with them fine, but the bells and whistles that I have with my 980Ti are much more appealing to myself. Which I do also have an elitist personality and will save up for the best if I can do so.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nvidia likes to act like the big swinging dick, but AMD pretty much always has a couple high value cards for lower budgets. And honestly the differences in performance, power consumption, etc. are maginal so go with what makes you feel cool. This new memory stacking is sweet, Nvidia will be following suit on that. As mentioned AMD like their high memory bus width so for high res they kick ass.

If I were running a 4K monitor, I would rather have a pair of R9 Fury X's than a pair of GTX 980Ti's. Crossfire has always been more stable than SLI and you need a lot of power to run 4K @ 60FPS. As for a single GPU set-up... I would definitely run a GTX 980Ti over a R9 Fury X.

I've been debating on upgrading to a GTX 980Ti for quite some time. I've had such a hard time justifying the upgrade since I got such a good GTX 980. My GPU can clock to 1550MHz like nothing on stock voltage. Pascal is going to be interesting, but i'm thinking I will wait until the second generation comes out to get the full version of pascal.

My single 970 gtx superclocked does the trick for all games so far maxed out on 1920x1080, as well as GTA 5

Something that may or may not play a factor into your decision if you do any coding....Nvidia has CUDA cores and offers a different avenue for GPU computations....

The only time I would go for AMD is if I found a great deal or was looking to build a super budget gaming rig.

The only upside to anything I can find for AMD hardware is that it is cheap. However, with cheap comes the obvious downsides such as added heat and higher power consumption (kinda goes hand in hand I guess).

If you are desperate for a computer upgrade go ahead and get AMD. You can get FPS with them fine, but the bells and whistles that I have with my 980Ti are much more appealing to myself. Which I do also have an elitist personality and will save up for the best if I can do so.

thanks lol... I'm with all you guys... I found a decent deal on open-box through Amazon actually for a 4GB 980... but I think even $450 - $140, also found 970 for $315 - $140 BUT might have to just wait a little longer... But like has been said the IQ is also a factor for me, don't want FPS if the rendering looks like 1980s anime...lol I'm not in a rush so I'll see what the offerings are this year hopefully they'll come sooner rather than later...

Interesting video.... made me laugh a bit:

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Nvidia likes to act like the big swinging dick, but AMD pretty much always has a couple high value cards for lower budgets. And honestly the differences in performance, power consumption, etc. are maginal so go with what makes you feel cool. This new memory stacking is sweet, Nvidia will be following suit on that. As mentioned AMD like their high memory bus width so for high res they kick ass.

Go get the AMD Fiji chips, and when they run at 90c+ and make the room you game in 15F+ than every other room in the house, than you would have wished you went Nvidia. To the OP, My main gaming PC I had built 2 years ago with 2 AMD R9 290's, 4gb version. This was my first gaming rig and I fell in love because it does everything I want it to. Only downside, is the fucking heat. Nvidida GPU's, if they go over 70c, rarely happens. Mine however, sit well over 80c on casual gaming. I have times in the summer where I literally sweat sitting at my computer desk because the air underneath my desk IS SO HOT. As Krakin had said already, give it some time. WIth DX12 just coming out, theres going to be lots of changes on both sides, as well. AMD getting such much flac for how hot their cards runs, hopefully they change it up next set. But I would highly suggest waiting a little bit if you can. To throw it out there, I just build another gaming pc, $750 was my budget, I ended up going with a Gigabyte GTX 960, thing sits 20-30c lower than my AMD gpu's, as well, I think the game just looks better and runs more fluid between the 2. I don't think I will go AMD again for my GPU's unless they really step their game up. Look at it like this. Would you rather buy a sundown SAZ-1200, or a cheap hifonics 1200 watt amp? The one is tried and trued, runs cool, takes abuse left and right, and still puts out gobs of power. Where the other, is budget friendly, get hot, possibly might malfunction, and doesn't put out the power it says it does. Now AMD does what it says it does, but they go soo hawt.
Edit: I do want to put this here though, if you truly are on a budget, amd is always the best route. I have designed a few computers, big budget gaming, as well as a every day pc. Was all amd parts, and insanely cheap. I put together a every day pc for just over $200 and just around $350 I had parted together a gaming rig. Both used mainly AMD gear. Just like with audio, try and wait for the lowest price if you really want the better. I built my main gaming pc 2 years ago for a whole total of $3272, after shipping and taxes. To build it, even today, would cost over $3300 before shipping and any taxes, because I waited for the best prices.
On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

AMD cards do run a little hotter... but don't be fooled by Nvidia's lower temps on single GPU set-ups. I went from a pair of R9 290X's to a pair of GTX 970's and the heat was still an issue... I started sweating in my office with the GTX 970's during a hour gaming session on Call of Duty:AW, my room was a damn sauna. Crappy thing was, the microstutter on Nvidia's cards were horrible... So I ended up returning them. Nvidia's SLI is still lacking in a lot of places.

If you are building a budget PC, just rely on the integrated graphics. The newer iGPU's on Intel haswell chips and newer are capable of gaming @ 1080p with all settings set to low... The newer Broadwell CPU's that hit the market right before Skylake actually have the new Intel Iris iGPU in them that are actually as good as mod mid range AMD/Nvidia cards.

Suggesting integrated graphics at any point in your life is a sin.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Suggesting integrated graphics at any point in your life is a sin.

Not really, eventually we might not even have GPU's anymore. Before back in the day cpu's didn't even have the possibility of graphics processing, now they are advancing heavily. I was actually talking to someone today who was playing the game Rust with no gpu, which absolutely amazes me. That game is still in alpha and is horrible when it comes to optimization, even with dual high end gpu's I can't even break 90fps, and with a mid grade gpu I am lucky to break my refresh rate in fps. Was even worse weeks ago.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm