Second Skin Audio

best way to seal damplifier pro to doors/sealing door jams with butyl rope

Thanks audiofanaticz! I've never really seen the butyl rope before...I wasn't aware of it being two sided! I'll check in to the products you listed above. Back to my question, when gluing liner, would it be best to glue liner to door panel, or liner to door?

Did your car have some plastic with some black tar like glue to keep the rain away from the inner door?

I'm pretty sure that is the same as SS butyl rope, it maybe different but it acts the same. I'm using SS

rope to seal my SMD speaker terminal.

Thanks audiofanaticz! I've never really seen the butyl rope before...I wasn't aware of it being two sided! I'll check in to the products you listed above. Back to my question, when gluing liner, would it be best to glue liner to door panel, or liner to door?

best way to explain butyl rope is to think of a rope.

Now take all the butyl off the deadener so your left with only the foil.

Take that butyl and make it look like the rope, thats what it is. ;)

Its not one sided or two side, or even 3 sided. Its all sided. You could roll it into a ball if you wanted.

That being said, you could also use the butyl rope to stick the liner to your door as well, and maybe easier to get off if you ever have to get back in there to service a window.

Ideally you would want to adhere it to the actual door itself behind the door panel (similar to how the oem vapor barrier was put on), but depending on how overkill you want to go with it you can attach it to the inside of the outer door skin as well.

Sorry I missed this thread.

Application should go - Metal - Damplifier Pro (Self Adhesive, the butyl will stick and not let go) - Luxury Liner Pro

When attaching the LLP you have a few options:

1 . Second Skin High Temp Spray Adhesive (1 Can will cover 36 sqft or 4 sheets of LLP)(If you want to use 3M, please use no lower than 3M90)

2 . Contact Cement like audiofanatic siad (DAP Landau is the best because it can be used on both sides of the LLP, as one is vnyl and spray adhesives do not stick to vinyl)(Note Gray spongy side should always be facing the metal or down)

3 . Industrial Strength Velcro

4 . Double Sided Sticky Tape (Ours will hold the spongy side of LLP but acrylic double sided tape is needed for the vinyl side * we are getting some in stock in the near future)

Thank you to all the SMD members that addressed this thread already, your helpfulness was right on.

Butyl Rope will seal the door/trunk seals semi-permanently so be careful, it is not weather stripping ;-)

Edited by Second Skin

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png