One of the reasons for fine stranding in automotive wiring besides ease of use is that in a high vibration environment, the weight of the conductor can stress the connections. Resonant vibrations at the terminals are greatly reduced with a limp wire.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Because welding wire and THHN are designed for different applications, their amp ratings might be at different voltage drops and would have to be taken into account. The voltage drop for one situation might be unacceptable for another. The same 4 AWG might be good for different amp ratings depending on acceptable drop. You can also get MTW (machine tool wire) that has a few more strands than THHN.

Pioneer 80PRS

The cable I was looking at was 988 strands. That was meant for my last post. So seeing the standing is the only difference and your point on vibrations. That that really the only difference between the welding cable and thhn?

Higher the strand the more current carrying capacity it has.

im not sure if thats the only difference but going from 15 or 20 strand thhn cable to 600 plus strand welding or car audio cable is a HUGE difference.

thhn was not designed for high current flow its made for buildings that use high voltage low amps. I never ever ever heard anyone even think about using thhn cable. Not trying to hurt ur feels man i just dont want you or your equipment to get damaged. High amperage WILL melt a low amperage wire.

Anywho i would go with the 1/0 WELDING cable like u mentioned. When in doubt do some research.

Strand count has nothing to do with capacity. Cross sectional area does. The current takes the shortest path and does not follow a winding strand in a wire. This is why buss bars work for a battery bank. Strand count is relevant at higher frequencies like with speaker wires. Big THHN carries big current, little THHN carries little current. Look up 500 MCM.

Pioneer 80PRS

Ok shadetree but what im trying to do is get this kid to understand WHY it wasnt a good idea to use thhn wire for car audio. This is a car audio forum so bringing up information on machinery wire, thhn, mcm any that stuff is complelty irrelevent to what is going on here. Its usless information when it comes to car audio power wire so all it does is confuse the new guys on here because they dont know any better. If we state facts on welding cable and car audio cable people will be thinking about car audio cable and welding cable, start talking about other irrelevent stuff it mixes up the whole bag.

I have a very strong opinion the OP is fairly new to car audio because if he was experienced he would have never used thhn cable, now we know why NO ONE uses thhn because its ment for the amperage need in car audio. The OP went out of his way to make the thhn work even tho they sell amp kits everywhere including walmart.

Im just trying to be helpful and when im given correct on topic helpfull advise i feel like im getting mud thrown in my face with extra irrelevant stuff. Buss bars in copper or aluminum are just fine in car audio, welding cable or car audio cable are just fine for car audio. There is reason no one uses anything else......

I resign from this post, i stated facts about thhn wire for car audio application. I run welding cable, shadetree runs welding cable along with MANY other installers.

Basssesquared if u wanna run 1/0 welding cable that is a GREAT idea and you will be satisfied and confident your power and ground wires are proper. Order enough 1/0 cable to do ur big three upgrade as well, there is a pinned post on the electrical forum on how to do the big three upgrade.

Im NOT here to step on anyones toes or be a jerk (if i did i appologise) i just wanna be helpfull when out of 500 views of the OP post only myself and a few others commented to give our best opinions to help a fellow audio head out.

The reason I'm asking is because thhn cable and welding cable specifications are basically the same. The size thhn I have laying around compared to the same size welding cable I'm looking at are almost identical in specs when it comes to temperature rating voltage rating. The amperage ratings are slightly different. The thhn I have is rated at 195amps. The welding cable is 205.

Archived