Since I can not do a contract in NYC because I promised Lisa I'd stay in FL while her father battles Pancreatic Cancer, I still have the itch to ride. My 43'rd b-day is coming up next month so I had an idea...........the best solution is to just go close to home. The girls have never gone, which makes it even more motivating to "just do it". We're going to old faithful Cataloochee Ski Resort in Maggie Valley, NC. 12 hrs away.

Goal: Log cabin $700. Motel $180-booked!

Driving 24hr round trip(?!). 3 round trip airline tickets to ATL. and car rented, drive time 6.5 round trip to Maggie Valley.

Gear. Rent clothing the first day $40 per person. Buy stuff after the first day session in preparation for night skiing the following day!

Riding: They both need lessons on the first day. $160. While they are practicing, I'm shredding down the mountain.

Now the rant. lol.

Gear: Lisa and I are bickering about sh!t to buy. She still has not purchased her googles, under garment layers, pants, gloves, etc. She only bought a jacket. I told her it can be an expensive hobby at first. She keeps looking for deals vs. function and fit. Honestly, she knows me and since in the past if she says something over and over again, I just buy it to shut her up. (It's working as usual!) I'm pulling some OT and willing to cover the cost of some of their gear because I want to ski in March and April before the season ends. Yes, a heavy price to pay. The goal is to rent the first day, and it she likes skiing.....than we shop for some cool gear in town that we can keep. There's sooo many styles to be seen once we're there but she is having trouble waiting!!! There's alot of mom and pop shops up there that sell new and used gear. I'd rather buy stuff that she tried on and likes and worry about the price at that time because she's going to get alot of use out of it later. Even TJ Maxx, Ross, and Marshalls in GA/NC has more of a selection than the Tampa Sports Authority or Peter Glenn- which is high priced down here in FL. Again, she keeps looking for stuff on Ebay without knowing how they fit or the warmth factor, it's driving me insane. This first trip will blow the $1k cap I put on this "weekend get away" for sure. It's cheaper for me to go alone, but that is out of the question. lol. She's having trouble with this concept. (?)

Riding: Since they've never been skiing, they will have to go on the bunny hill to learn with an instructor. Flipping the bill for that as well. Lisa's upset that she may not get to ride with either one of us. I keep telling her skiing is an individual sport. We all learn and ride at our own pace. If we can't ride together than so be it. I'm not going to drop >$1.5K and only ride at 1000-1800 ft. elevation all day. Hell no! I'm going up to the 5400 ft elevation and getting my money's worth for 2 days! I can always meet her at the 1800 ft mark and ride down together. Again, she's not grasping this concept for some reason. (?)

Baggage: The plan is to ski......period. Not pack a suit case full of clothes and decide later. "Pack light for the purpose". Use the washer and dryer at the motel and run the same clothes for the weekend that we are there. A suitcase costs $55 per person. Devin and I always back light...a backpack is all that is needed for a weekend getaway. Lisa wants to pack like freakin' Paris Hilton. Heaven forbid we wear the same clothing on 2 separate days in a FB pic!!!! (Eyes rolling) She asked me if she can take a curling iron on the plane? I'm a guy, what the hell do I know about a traveling curling iron? Screw the curling iron, she's going to be wearing a beanie since it's 25-40 degrees in NC, and at night it drops down to the teens! In the 3 yrs....I have not been able to break her of this packing habit!!!!! If she wants a suitcase,....she have to pay the $55 upcharge!

This planned ski trip is becoming annoying and we have not even left yet!!!!!

This is meant to be a funny rant. Enjoy.

-Frank

http://www.minus33.com/

You can come across them on ebay also, so it is worth a look there, i have the mock neck shirts and love them along with merino wool socks i wear year round.

EDIT: For those that don't know about merino wool is that it does not hold odor, and even in warm climates it is still comfortable without overheating you.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Sounds like you should do this trip solo and plan another trip for the family to do togther.

Or bring the kids and ditch the misses lol.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Skullz, I'm def. going to look into the wool stuff for me. Lisa is allergic to wool. In the past I was layering all wrong. Cotton, who knew! No wonder I could get cold later on in the day! I'm slim 32W and in 06 the guy at Sports Authority told me to go one size up so I could layer, so I bought an Alpine Designs L pants. I tried them on now and with just undies they are HUGE. I used to wear cotton sweat pants to fill them out. This time I want M cargo pants, coupled with a thinner non cotton mid layer.

B.B.A. hahaha. I wish I could. So am I wrong in my thinking? lol.

-Frank

If it was me I'd just say fuck it and leave by myself lol.

We have a place near us called rei (they are a national chain) that sells that type of stuff too and they always have great deals, you might want to check out their online store too.

My girl has scored northface coats from there for as little as $20.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Update:

Used Marmot Tamarack(?) Jacket $31

New Columbia Vertex pants $41

Champion C9 Power Core pants (base layer) $25

Starter poly. Long sleeve Shirt $11(base layer)

Pretty much done for $108. Right on target and within my budget with money to spare and spend in NC.

Lisa on the other hand. I trying to force her buy her own stuff before I finally give in and shell out my own coin. My plan is not working. LOL.

I thought her comment was so hilarious I just wanted to share.

So Thursday we drove to the opposite side of Tampa to hit Peter Glenn, fighting traffic for almost 40 min. Mission: to test fit and find it cheaper online. We get there 10 min before they close. I quickly make a B-line to the pants rack, and throw on a pair of medium pants. $120?! Screw that! Bam perfect fit, yup I need to buy medium pants. Mission accomplished for me! And I'm into pants for $41.

Lisa refused to try anything on while we were there. I was like wtf?

Tonight I asked her why didn't she want to try anything on. Her reply..

"Because we weren't going to buy anything". Funny that she says she's not a premodonna but that sure was a premodonna statement if you ask me. Somehow it was too much for her to do (?). I told her after almost 3 yrs of being together that's the stupidest thing she ever told me.

She did buy some poly/spandex blend to act as her base layer (top and bottom) which has fleece on the part that contacts her skin. Its ok as a mid layer, but I told that's going to make her sweat if it's her base. She needed polyester. The pants she did buy are too big (Which is why I wanted "to try before we buy!") Now she's getting frustrated. lol.

She keeps asking me about this brand and that brand but hasn't made an appropriate purchase yet. Apparently we are both stalling. :) I told her to be quiet about it and just buy it already.

To me, I feel she's excited about the vacation but she's scared she may not like skiing and be stuck with apparel she may not use.

Hmmmmmm,.........it's as if she's buying the wrong stuff on purpose????

I think this is 100% hilarious!!!!!

-Frank

So, I didn't read the fine print when dealing with Spirit Airlines. Seems a bookbag is now considered a chargeable carry-on $31. The personal bag allowed is 16x14x12. I measured my bookbag and it's 18x14x12, 2" too tall! Bastards! lol. The price for a Delta flight was $162 vs Spirit's $139.00, but Delta allows a bookbag.

I went ahead and purchased the check in bag for $35 online preflight. Which allows for a 62" linear/40lb suitcase limit. We have a 56" linear suit case to pile all our stuff in. Delta charges $25 on the return flight.So $60 additonal baggage fee paid. I found out online if you go to the airport and buy tickets from Spirit or other airliners, they waive the $10 online convenience fee! So I could have saved up to $60 on the 3 tickets. LIVE AND LEARN!!!

I went ahead and purchased the girls ski pants. Lisa has a pair of Columbia Polar Eclipse bright plum ski pants for $62 NWT. Unfortunately they do not match her jacket's purple accents. At this point, I don't care. They are purchased! Devin has a pair of Columbia Bugaboo white ski pants for $40 used. Matches her jacket like a boss.

We went to Dick's to try on goggles. Neither one wanted to try the Smith, Oakley, or Scott goggles. I tried to explain how all brand fit alittle differently. Guess they didn't want to mess up their hair (?!?) So I went ahead and purchased 2 Bolle Curve goggles should be here soon. $40.00 from Jet.com. If they don't fit too bad, ya'll are wearin' em!!!!!

Lisa did score some Gordini XT Storm Trooper gloves, originally $65 for $16 on close out. Good call Broke!!

So I blew the budget!!!! I'm at $1107 without lessons, rental, lift tickets, or MEALS. Looks like she's going to have to make up some of this cost to keep things even financially.

I'm going to take Broke's advise and go by myself next time!!! lol.

-Frank

I feel. Im lucky to live an hour away from a decent mountain but have not had the time to go snowboarding this season! Hoping i will get a day off next week could definetely use the escape. I think tickets are more expensive out here.. 60 something a day for big bear tickets.

I personally don't understand going to a big mountain for people's first time.... Could have gone somewhere way cheaper, let them get a hang of it, and then plan a bigger trip to somewhere better the following year.

Just my .02...

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

Archived