FI over carb any day of the week.. carbs are a pain to get right and even after being right its only good for a few months then you have to re tune.. people have gained hp and tor even fuel mileage converting to fuel injection.. not that it gives it more power but its more of bad tuning.. bad tuning you lose a lot.. FI you only tune once and no starting issues

yea but you end up dumping a ton of money into FI. The Fast setup is nice and Holley too. Just expensive. If you go with a throttlebody setup its super easy. but you're talking 1600-2k$ just for the fuel injection.

Carbs never bothered me, tuned them usually once a year for hot-cold but then again I just kinda tooled around I wasn't drag racing it. The new carbs are night and day from a fucking quadrajet.

If you have a fullsize truck I would go with a bigger motor then a 5.7, LQ9s aren't cheap but the heads are better then the vortecs and it would give you better gas mileage. The swap would be a lot harder though. Transmission and such would be different unless you got an adapter.

you didnt say which truck so he must be thinking the s10 or trailblazer

You didnt read.... OP says FULL SIZE

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

FI over carb any day of the week.. carbs are a pain to get right and even after being right its only good for a few months then you have to re tune.. people have gained hp and tor even fuel mileage converting to fuel injection.. not that it gives it more power but its more of bad tuning.. bad tuning you lose a lot.. FI you only tune once and no starting issues

yea but you end up dumping a ton of money into FI. The Fast setup is nice and Holley too. Just expensive. If you go with a throttlebody setup its super easy. but you're talking 1600-2k$ just for the fuel injection.

Carbs never bothered me, tuned them usually once a year for hot-cold but then again I just kinda tooled around I wasn't drag racing it. The new carbs are night and day from a fucking quadrajet.

If you have a fullsize truck I would go with a bigger motor then a 5.7, LQ9s aren't cheap but the heads are better then the vortecs and it would give you better gas mileage. The swap would be a lot harder though. Transmission and such would be different unless you got an adapter.

20% fuel saving for a daily driver is worth the money for a fuel injection motor.. i also dont mean get the edelbrock or holley efi systems. they are overpriced if you ask me.. with the money they cost you can get an lq9.. the 5.3 can be had for $600 if you wait for a dail.. i found an lq4 for $750 complete less trans.. so going that rout is smarter

Nah, just a good ole 350 will do. My dads truck is a 98 with a 5.7 and he gets 20avg. I'm fine with it. Thanks for all your input. Hopefully I can get this done in the spring.

i hope youre not kidding because i never seen a 98 5.7 get that fuel mileage.. they are rated at 17 mpg and we all know the ratings are bs.. i have a 94, given its not a vortech but my mileage was around 14 at best with the 350 and went down to single digits with a 454 and a happy foot.. other people are seeing 15mpg at best on that engine.. my car is rated 21mpg with better dynamics than a wall of a truck im seeing a bit less than that

driving responsibly gets you near rated not an increase of 75% fuel economy.. you do know they are rated at 12mpg city driving right? even at idle you will not get a 75% fuel savings

and one more thing.. odometers do lie.. get a gps top it off, drive it for a few miles and top it off again.. only that way will you get the correct mpg

6 cyl, 4.3 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular

City

Combined

Highway

8 cyl, 5.7 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular Gasoline compare1bv.png1998_Chevy_CK_Pickup_W.jpg

City

Combined

Highway

Archived