Second Skin Audio

Blew my SWR 12D2. Repair help?

djjohnboy

So I blew my Alpine SWR 12D2 subwoofer 5th Gen. I took it apart only to find that the former of the voice granaded so the voice coil came unwound in the motor so I have no choice but to take the basket apart and the magnets out to collect the unwound coil wire. It appears that Alpine made these subs to be unserviceable ( at least unfriendly) due to all of the glue around the top plate above the magnets. I can see a ton of glue underneath as well. My question is can I burn all of the glue with a torch to get it to release? I tried using a chisel to knock it clockwise but it wont budge and it's cutting a groove into the plate. It appears that the security plate will then just come right out. I'm not going to just toss it. Thanks!

PS. If this has already been covered please don't burn me, just point me in the right direction...

Scrap it and buy another one.

Clipping subs to death doesn't help for longevity, find out what caused the sub to clip and you shouldn't have to repeat this.

Roger that. I figured out what I did. Gain too high and had Bass EQ all the way up. My amps controls were buried and I just didn't see that before screwing it down. I wondered why it was so freaking loud. I flipped my amps right side up now so I can control them better and I bought a SMD DD1 (directly from Steve's shop)(yea) so hopefully now I can work that out. *** My reply to Skulls is: Does the blown subwoofer just not last very long after being rebuilt or overall it just won't be the same? I bought another SWR and I found someone who can rebuild the blown one but if it's another waste of money I'd prefer not to do that.

PS. Next time I'll try a different/better sub...

Rebuilt subs can end up being stronger depending on the parts used and user knowledge. As long as you don't clip them to death again.

But why not just upgrade for the money you will spend rebuilding those "ok" subs.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

If I remember correctly the SWr's have a weird coil size which makes them hard to recone too.

I think it's like a 2.65" coil

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

Archived