Computer questions help

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided on the 6700k because I was able to piece together a cheaper system on the socket 1151 compared to the Socket 2011-v3.

However the 2011-v3 motherboard and the 5820k CPU do dominate the 3dmark list with the right accessories

The X99 chipset is going to be more so your enthusiast line.
I wish I could max out my credit card right now and buy a 5960X and a Asus rog rampage v extreme for the low low price of $1650...

Karkov

You could easily remove the Asus board I linked above for $342, and get this one for $250 and save $92 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132516&ignorebbr=1

**List update with 256gb SSD instead of a 512gb and a slightly cheaper mobo.

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 450D $120 - $10 MIR = $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139042&ignorebbr=1

Mobo: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 $250

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132516&ignorebbr=1

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K $390 + $5 shipping = $395

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117402

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i 280MM $130

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181100&ignorebbr=1

Memory: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233849&ignorebbr=1

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti $680 - $20 MIR + $7 shipping = $667

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487146&ignorebbr=1

SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 512GB $140

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147360&ignorebbr=1

Total $1802
And if you went with the Evga 980Ti "non classified" for $30 less then the one linked above your looking at $1772

If you have enough hard drive space and already have multiple ssd's do you really need more, or maybe the better question is why are you wanting another 256gb?

If the space is not something you are in urgent need of right now, its always something you can add later and save an additional $140. Especially with how far and fast SSD prices are dropping lately!

Just a suggestion is all.

Its about a $60 difference between the 6700K and the Mobo hotdog bought, and the 5820k and the mobo I linked above in this post.

Wow, a lot going on in this thread now! Going through everything trying to process all this.

I would get the classified version of that GTX980Ti for the $30 difference. (I agree with you)

@hotdog, what games do you run?! What else do you do that you use 32 gig of RAM? 3200 speed, holy hell, lol. What did you build your PC for? (assuming gaming)

I am at work now and will re-look over all this stuff when I get off work.

Are the USB 3.0 on the front of those towers or back (and plug directly into the MOBO?) I currently have USB 3.0 but even when I plug into those ports it says it's not supported or something and since I am noob with software I just don't use them.

Also, I could reuse an SSD I suppose (I have the Samsung 840 and 850 256 gig) but if I reformat Windows on the new PC then it does that partition thing on the SSD/HD and the available space is greatly reduced and I don't know how to get rid of the partition. My computer shows all these different drives (2:1) in like disk defrag and drive folder etc. but I can't use half because they are actually partitions, drives me nuts!!! Yes, I back everything up so no worries of losing whatever if I get rid of a partition.

I will try to reuse my Windows 10 disk and key and hope it works, LOL

I will have to decide if I do want a 500+ gig SSD because now would be the time to do it, like you said Audifanaticz, your 256 is almost full already with not much on it. None of mine are the same so I couldn't RAID 0 anyway, lol (unless I got another identicle 850 but I am not gonna hassle with that ATM)

Audifanaticz, the second MOBO you linked kind of has some bad reviews, that scares me because I am such a noob, would most likely just get the first one instead.

I will have to mow all this over in my brain after I get done with work (at work now)

It's interesting that the two 390's are same price as one GTX 680TI

I looked at the 5930k CPU but that's more than I want to spend, LOL

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

The reviews on hotdogs mobo he linked for LGA1151 and the review on the cheaper LGA2011-3 I linked are about a horse a piece.

They are a slight margin better for the more expensive board I linked.

But with Asus they are very good with troubleshooting, and warranty issues.

Without going through each bad review one by one its hard to say if the bad reviews are left due to user error or an actual product issue.

I myself dont have the time to do that. lol

As for the amd r9 390s and their price..

They are cheap because their performance. There is minimal differences between the current R9 390 cards and their last series R9 290X cards.

They are both having 8gb of 512 bit memory, both around 1000mhz core clocks. For the most part what amd did was took the old cards slapped a new label on them and sold them as their "new" cards.

While they do have 8gb of memory, when you run SLI or Crossfire the memory is shared. So you may have 2 cards totaling 16gb of video memory, but the system sees it as 8gb of memory and sharing the same work load on each cards memory to put it easily.

No different then with my 3 cards that have 3gb memory each, I dont have 9gb of video memory at my disposal, I have 3gb.

Now with DX12 they claim they can make each card have its memory render something different but if this is still true or if they will ever allow it/release it only time will tell.

I encourage you to check out this link.
You will see they test a single R9 390X (a slightly faster and more expensive card than the R9 390), against a pair of R9 390Xs in crossfire against a 980, and a 980ti.

Both the 980 and 980 Ti are running single cards in the test and not in SLI.

You will see that the 980 is beating the R9 390X card for card, and you will also see that the single 980Ti is not far behind the pair of R9 390Xs in crossfire.

And these are at 4k resolution's too not bad for a single card vs a pair of cards in crossfire...

So that is where you get your price difference at.

When you are looking at these graphs keep in mind that max FPS doesnt mean everything. Thats like saying peak watts when your talking about car audio amps. Keep an eye on the minimum fps numbers closely and you will see that the 980Ti minimum FPS is typically higher than the R9 390X in crossfire minimum FPS.
http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/91/amd-radeon-r9-390x-crossfire-4k/index.html

One major thing to take note of when running Crossfire or SLI is that all games do not support it.

Sure the game will still run, but you may get poorer performance with the 2 cards in SLI/Xfire than 1 card.

There are some games I play that I have to disable SLI because of huge drops in FPS when all 3 cards are running vs 1 card like CS:GO, and H1Z1.
Both of these games hate multiple video cards and performance is worse with 2 or 3 cards compared to 1 card.

I know Meade needs to disable SLI when he edits video for some strange reason.

Battlefield4 seems to run perfect with SLI/Xfire.

It really depends on the game, and the drivers released by the gpu manufactures.

Nvidia tends to release driver updates regularly or anytime a new game launches, while AMD is sometimes weeks to a month behind it seems.

As for the USB3.0 ports.

For it to work you have to have the usb3.0 plugs in the front of your case, and you have to have a 19pin (iirc) usb3.0 header on your motherboard that you plug the cable in to.

Both motherboards I posted in this thread, and the motherboard Hotdog posted are compatible with plugging in the case usb3.0 to your motherboard, plus have additional usb3.0 plugs on the I/O panel on the back of the motherboard where you plug everything in.

Sounds good. I have run SLI/crossfire before but I think this go round i will stick with one card. I am a less is more person.

I might have to post back when putting it all together to get things how i want them. (may need help with certain aspects)

Any way to remove the partition on the drives?! (SSD and HDD)

Otherwise I think i am at the point I will order up pretty much exactly what your FIRST list of gear was , i have researched every single thing in every post in this thread, some decisions were tough, I appreciate ALL the input. Thanks!!!

Suggestions for a new monitor down the road? I currently have a 24" Asus and I run WoW at 3200x1800 on a single R9 290. I would like to increase the size along with the resolution (if the game allows, or for possible future TV/movie watching). Are most people running 4K TV's these days as monitors? Am I better off getting a computer monitor instead since I only really surf the web and play WoW (no TV/movies currently)?? What name brands are good? What size are you guys running?! I get a little lost with all the resolution talk lately, do i go by the first number or the second? both? I don't get it....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

(I just browse the net) :) I built the PC because I was way over due for an upgrade. I do game on it and use my PC as a media center.

Mostly I like fist person shooter game's, although there are a few other games out there that I like. I buy a lot of game however because Steam keeps pricing them making it impossible to pass up even if I dont play it for a long time or at all.

The reason I used the R9 390 series cards is because I already had one when I purchased the rest of my equipment. Had I not had that card I would have done what Brian suggested and got the nvidia 980ti and then later down the road if you wanted add another when prices drop.

For the most part just about every youtube review I have watched showed a 50% to 60% increase in performance when in crossfire. That is why I made my decision because I already had one card and only had to spend 330.00 to get another. Saved me 300.00 from getting the 980ti.

Basically What Brian listed is a good system. Stick with Asus board You get the 6 core CPU the 980ti. Up to you on water cooling or air cooling. my air cooler is whisper quiet though but takes up a lot of room in the case. Water cooler actually will help air flow though case. I actually did buy a water cooler system for CPU but bought it after the I purchased the air cooler. I just wanted to get the system together and could not wait one more day :)

I do like the case tons of room and cable management is good. Last but not least the reason I wanted the 32 gig of ram is because I will run virtual machines for programs related for work that are not compatible with Windows 7 or 10. I got the 3200 speed because like Ricky Bobby I like to go fast. I also may go to 64gb of ram in the future.

Now what the hell is that?! lol

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Archived