Computer questions help

It is the future. The motherboard I bought has an M.2 slot on it and I just picked up that SSD. I will clone my windows 10 drive over to it.

You cant beat 500gb Samsung SSD for that price.

My main thing with AMD is they are hemorrhaging money non stop it seems.

They keep promising the latest and greatest but flopping each time.

Rebadging cards year after year after year.

Their processors are crap, I was an idiot and bought their second from the top cpu and the only difference is the clock speed, which I overclocked mine way past their top model.

Yet my processor is still getting whooped by a older Intel in a laptop. Thats F**KED up..

AMD needs to get competitive and start making money again so there is competition because right now Intel is saying their new line of cpus wont be faster but more efficient, since they have no need to release something better because what they have already is stomping on AMD. Same goes for Nvidia too, Im sure they have the next flagship card ready to go, but why release it when the competition is not there. Just like when you compete you dont burp your loudest score for qualifying, you hold out until elimination rounds and only turn it up as much as needed to beat the guy next to you.

The M.2 SSDs are the way to go, and are a lot faster than your typical sata6 drives since the m.2 runs off the PCI-E bus. Which comes down to wanting to have more PCI-E express lanes like I talked about before.

Which all mobos listed in this thread support.

For erasing the partitions you can use a free program to do so as long as its not your boot device with the OS on it. But you will lose all data on the drive. So prior to removing the partitions back up anything you want to save!!!!!

I know some programs will allow you to alter the size without the loss of data, but Id still back it up to be on the safe side.

You can also do it in windows using the "disk management" tool.

All you do is right click select delete partition, then click apply. It will do its thing.

Then you will want to right click again and format it in NFTS (typically) and your pretty much done.

Its really simple to do. but you wont be able to the drive that is your boot drive.

Typically if you need to do this drive the time to do it is at windows installation where it gives you the options to delete partitions, then create a new partition for windows.

Again fairly straight forward and simple.

Brian that M.2 card I got was the Sata version not the PCI-E version. Should be able to boot to it. slot takes either one

yea I eyeballed that one for a while but could not get trigger happy on it. but in the future matbe

Thanks guys, one last thing

Suggestions for a new monitor down the road? I currently have a 24" Asus and I run WoW at 3200x1800 on a single R9 290. I would like to increase the size along with the resolution (if the game allows, or for possible future TV/movie watching). Are most people running 4K TV's these days as monitors? Am I better off getting a computer monitor instead since I only really surf the web and play WoW (no TV/movies currently)?? What name brands are good? What size are you guys running?! I get a little lost with all the resolution talk lately, do i go by the first number or the second? both? I don't get it....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

New monitors come out non stop it seems with new features.

Doesn't pay to shop for one now if your not going to be buying it for a few months because what comes out in a few months maybe way better than what your looking at now for the same price.

Monitor>TV

You want a monitor with a low response time like 1millisecond (ms)

You want a monitor with a high refresh rate 120hz, 144hz, 166hz etc. Depending on which version HDMI the panel uses, it can only support up to 100hz.

You want a monitor preferably with G-sync if your using Nvidia cards (which is only offered using the display port cable), you want Free-sync if your using AMD cards.

Some Tv manufactures are not very truthful in their ratings.

There was a serious race to the highest refresh rate. Some companies claiming stupid numbers like 600hz.... Even though there is no HDMI cable that supports that.

Some manufactures claim 120hz and what they where saying is 60hz + 60hz = 120hz. But what they dont tell you is that other 60hz is just duplicating the same picture twice, so its really only 60hz.

Like if you bought a 4k tv and it has hdmi 2.0, the fastest refresh rate you will get out of it is 60hz. Yet there is a 60hz cap on hdmi 2.0 still manufactures advertise crazy high refresh rates.... #marketing

If the tv had a older version of HDMI your looking at 30hz. Gaming at 30FPS is not ideal!

Sure your computer maybe sending out lets say 50FPS, however your tv panel will only be refreshing 30 times per second, so 20 frames per second you would never be making its way to the monitor so to say.

Some place there is a chart that tells you the cable type/version and its max supported refresh rate.

Im sure there is a lot Im missing, but dont have time, so for now thats what you get.

Also when Im speaking about hdmi, Im speaking about the interface itself not the actual cable. Hdmi 1.4 or 2.0 its the same cable.

IMO 4k is not just there yet for PC or TV.

There is limited 4K content for TV use, no cable or satellite companies support it yet and most likely wont for a while.

4K is more useful on the PC side, however I still feel with hdmi limitations its not there for that reason alone.

I run 1440P (which is double the 1080 res or half 4k res) and I have a 144hz refresh rate. I would be damned to buy another panel ever again in my life for PC use that is 60hz like I once had on 1080P resolution!

It just seems half assed to go backwards in tech while going forward at the same time to get that higher resolution.

Not to mention even in Windows 10 the scaling is garbage, even on a 55inch 4k screen your icons and text are so small and hard to read on your desktop.

It took me a long time to get use to that myself with my 1440P screen.

Sure you can increase their size, but then they start to seem somewhat blurry or fuzzy.

Again just my opinions!

I have no problem spending money at the time (if I have it) on the newest and greatest tech, but if the specs just seem wrong I feel it is worthless to buy it.

I mean hdmi 2.0 is already 3 years old, and they only updated it to 2.0a which is just a firmware update and iirc and didnt change the refresh rate cap.

Archived