Computer questions help

wow thanks guys, wasn't gonna wait a few months, was gonna buy like this week, lol. Just wanted to make sure to have it for the summer.

First off, thanks for all the monitor talk!! low ms, 144 hz, 1440x etc. etc. didn't realize they were so expensive....

For contrast ratio 50,000:1 or whatever the higher or lower the better? I would think higher?

What are some good brand names? I am really noob about the HDMI 2.0 and whatever else you were trying to tell me.

Seems like 24" we reasonably priced but when I started looking at 28"-32" prices got insane. =(

I don't even know what the max resolution is that WoW offers.....

I am on the fence about getting a new monitor after seeing prices....

so if ingame it says 3200x1800 what is that? 2k? less? more? it runs like shit at that anyway and I have to turn it down but that's the highest one I can select....I don't understand that display port stuff. Also, when you say HDMI you mean the interface, how do I access said interface?...... so 1440P is half of 4k? lol, doesn't make sense to me, lol

so I would look for G-sync. Got it

If I buy a monitor that is 1440P capable and 144 hz how when I use it do I know that's what I'm getting? but Windows 10 does scaling that will make my icons smaller? OR fuzzy? Is there a way to change/adjust Windows 10 scaling? If HDMI interfaces are different then are the cables too? I am a bit lost....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you want just a 1080p gaming monitor here is one for a decent price

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am thinking about getting this to replace one of my 24" monitors

I have the Asus ROG swift that hotdog linked above that is now $650 instead of the $800 I think I paid for it.

The acer panel he linked is no bueno for you if you use Nvidia cards since it uses "freesync" and you wont be able to take advantage of that technology unless you bought a AMD video card.

You also get types of screens, TN panels are what people usually buy for gaming since they have faster specs.

IPS panels are better color quality and typically have a better viewing angle, but there are TN panels that have a good viewing angle too without a massive color shift.

I think Asus made a new ROG Swift that has a IPS panel as well.

Yes contrast ratio is higher the better.

Rumor is for the new Nvidia "Pascal" series cards might be unveiled at GTC (GPU Technology Conference) in April this year, and possibilities of the cards being displayed at Computex which is in June.

But who knows for sure, just wanted to clue you in so that your aware and maybe you can wait before buying a new gpu.

Like I said just rumors so who know how much truth is there. Although GTC is an Nvidia conference so that would almost mean talks about the new card(s) may happen.

Rumor is for the new Nvidia "Pascal" series cards might be unveiled at GTC (GPU Technology Conference) in April this year, and possibilities of the cards being displayed at Computex which is in June.

But who knows for sure, just wanted to clue you in so that your aware and maybe you can wait before buying a new gpu.

Like I said just rumors so who know how much truth is there. Although GTC is an Nvidia conference so that would almost mean talks about the new card(s) may happen.

Yea, I have been researching them some too. I might wait, although it's really hard not to pull the trigger now. The new ones are supposed to be the newest greatest things but also prolly won't be able to get one till mid summer at the earliest.

I do have a co-worker who is selling his spare computer because it is getting outdated and he doesn't use it. It has very little use and it's a steal of a price so I will prolly just buy that up for a few hundred bucks, have a back up computer, then go ALL out when the new shit comes out. *timing*

It has GTX660TI in Crossfire (so it has 2) aftermarket air CPU cooler (looks similar to the one Hotdog has) USB 3.0 hubs on the front top of the case, he's giving a spare (brand new) mother board with it, it has a nice 1000 watt modular PSU, Intel CPU but I forget which one. Don't remember the rest of the stuff about it, nothing spectacular and mostly outdated but it was his spare computer in case soemthing happened to his main computer but he's upgrading as well so his current nice computer will be his backup from now on and so on. He's thinking like $300-$400 range for the one I might buy. I know it's outdated but the price is crazy low!! If it had been used for gaming every day for years and years I would pass, but I know and trust him and the computer has little use, plus comes with fresh reformat of WIndows 7 and stuff. No monitor or anything else, just tower, but still.

In my mind I'm like 2 medium computers < 1 great computer but for this point in time (new ones coming out) and what I already have combined with financial aspect of it I think I will wait. Bitter sweet....situation is both good and bad.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

if you want just a 1080p gaming monitor here is one for a decent price

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am thinking about getting this to replace one of my 24" monitors

A 24" for a 24"?!

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

What's the difference between the Asus "ROG" and the Acer "predator" other than one is for AMD and one is for nvidia?? Prices vary but stats seem the same

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

What platform are you running? Like your CPU/Memory/Motherboard?

What's the difference between the Asus "ROG" and the Acer "predator" other than one is for AMD and one is for nvidia?? Prices vary but stats seem the same

That's just G-SYNC vs FreeSync

G-SYNC:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync

FreeSync

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync

Pretty much just go with whatever GPU you have.

Ever since I switched over to using a TV for my monitor, I can't stand those 27" monitors, they are too small. The main reason you want to go with a monitor with those sync features is for competitive FPS gaming where you need that super smooth frame rate.

• 2 months later...

The PC game I am wanting to upgrade for launches at the very end of August, am hoping the newest series of graphics cards are mainstream enough by then to make a new PC with best newest fastest technology.......

this thread or build isn't forgotten about....

will continue to check this section for anything new you guys are seeing or hearing about.

EDIT: 6500th post.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Archived