Second Skin Audio

Best subs to work with the rest of my setup

Daniel644

I'm trying to make sure this isn't a "vs thread", that is not my intent, my intent is to supply you guys with as much info as possible so you can advise me based on YOUR EXPERIENCE what is best suited to my application or if it's even worth upgrading just the subs anyway.

My Current Setup:

Car is an 03 Trailblazer

Pioneer radio (forget exact model number and it's to cold to go back outside to see right now) with a full complement of 4 Volt RCA outputs

Hifonics BRX640.4 for the mids and highs

Polk Audio DB6501's in the front doors with the tweeters mounted in the dash locations (powered by the BRX640.4)

Rockford Fosgate PPS4-8 8" midranges in the rear doors (powered by the BRX640.4)

Hifonics BRX2000.1D subwoofer amp

2x Planet Audio BB212D subs in a ported box running at 1 ohm

I built the box myself and honestly just made it to big because I didn't want to rebuild it if I ever upgraded the subs and I was looking to fill the cargo area but not be taller then the bottom of the windows, if you subtract out the ports and don't account for the variable of the speakers displacements the internal volume of the box is 8.32 Cubic Feet.

in the last week I have been seriously looking at swapping out the 12's (the 12's could then go back into my other car) with some 15's since the box is large enough and have a budget around 400 per sub (maybe 450 for something really good), I mostly listen to rap and rock music (including 80's hair bands like Guns-n-Roses, Aerosmith and most anything that can be found on the "Monster Ballads" CD), no Techno or Heavy Metal.

What subs would pair up well with that amp (not looking to upgrade as my amps are a matching set) and not looking to do more then modify the speaker cutouts and tweak the port lengths on the box.

Is this worth considering at all, given the same power input would any 15's get any louder or should I look at ways to reduce the box volume? the face of the box between the ports (see picture) that is attached to the inner panel of the ports could potentially be pushed back a few inches (if I get 4" back it would remove 1.25 cubic feet from the box volume) and then re-tune the box accordingly.

0227160408d_zpsvrt24zgl.jpg

Two sundown sa 15s

Two ssa gcon 15s

It your really wanna get crazy two sundown X 12s with SPL cone/surround to give it more of the highs for the rock you listen to.

c-pillar flat wall 157.11db on music

2 crossfire 8k

4 NSV3 18s

4 crescendo 10s

4 Rockford pro 6.5s

Quad excessive amperage 350alts

4 juicebox 3100s

Two sundown sa 15s

Two ssa gcon 15s

It your really wanna get crazy two sundown X 12s with SPL cone/surround to give it more of the highs for the rock you listen to.

are the first 2 just that under rated? the amp is a 2,000 watt RMS CEA2006 certified and pretty sure I saw a bench test on youtube last year that showed it doing like 1900ish at 1 ohm and like 2100 at .8 and thiose subs are rated 600 RMS and 750 RMS for a combined rating of 1200 and 1500, that is still a far ways under the output of the amp, as for the Sundown X 12, any reason for being only the 12 and not the 15?

Crossfire C7 15s. You're welcome.

Seams like ti's only sold in stores (nearest one being 50+ miles away) also can't find pricing on it.

with box rise you will never get that 1,900 number if it was done using a dummy load ... if you find that amp being tested with the amm-1 then its more real world .... also unless you set the gains with the dd1 or oscope you might have the gain turned too low and making even less power than you think

Yup, they support brick and mortar stores. You won't find online pricing as they don't sell online. Sorry if that's your thing. It's a superior sub to an SA from Sundown.

Good luck with your search

To be honest, being able to shop online is a big thing for me due to my work schedule I don't have the time during the week to make a 100+ mile 3 hour (accounting for about half an hour spent at the store) round trip during business hours on a week day (and I sleep in on weekends), especially not knowing the pricing/availability on said item ahead of time (although I could call), and frankly the last piece of audio equipment I bought in a store was my Epicenter and that was back in like 2004-2005 and I paid like 300+ dollars for it, these days that same thing can be bought for 120 bucks online, hell even back then it was cheaper online (by like 50 bucks at CHRUTCHFIELD, aka the most expensive online audio dealer) but I wanted to have it for a competition the next day so I paid the premium. I can't pay Brick and Mortar pricing and do the other things I want to do, like the mail order tune i'm planning after I get thru with this move that will be eating up my next few weekends.

Yup, they support brick and mortar stores. You won't find online pricing as they don't sell online. Sorry if that's your thing. It's a superior sub to an SA from Sundown.

To be honest, being able to shop online is a big thing for me due to my work schedule I don't have the time during the week to make a 100+ mile 3 hour (accounting for about half an hour spent at the store) round trip during business hours on a week day (and I sleep in on weekends), especially not knowing the pricing/availability on said item ahead of time (although I could call), and frankly the last piece of audio equipment I bought in a store was my Epicenter and that was back in like 2004-2005 and I paid like 300+ dollars for it, these days that same thing can be bought for 120 bucks online, hell even back then it was cheaper online (by like 50 bucks at CHRUTCHFIELD, aka the most expensive online audio dealer) but I wanted to have it for a competition the next day so I paid the premium. I can't pay Brick and Mortar pricing and do the other things I want to do, like the mail order tune i'm planning after I get thru with this move that will be eating up my next few weekends.

Crossfire won't be for you I'm sure. Their pricing is pretty fantastic though and their product is even better.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

To be honest, being able to shop online is a big thing for me due to my work schedule I don't have the time during the week to make a 100+ mile 3 hour (accounting for about half an hour spent at the store) round trip during business hours on a week day (and I sleep in on weekends), especially not knowing the pricing/availability on said item ahead of time (although I could call), and frankly the last piece of audio equipment I bought in a store was my Epicenter and that was back in like 2004-2005 and I paid like 300+ dollars for it, these days that same thing can be bought for 120 bucks online, hell even back then it was cheaper online (by like 50 bucks at CRUTCHFIELD, aka the most expensive online audio dealer) but I wanted to have it for a competition the next day so I paid the premium. I can't pay Brick and Mortar pricing and do the other things I want to do, like the mail order tune i'm planning after I get thru with this move that will be eating up my next few weekends.

I totally feel you on this.... you pay more for the convenience of getting an item on the spot but then find out that said item must still be ordered and it all goes down hill

back in 1999 I needed 4 punch DVC 12's and best price was like $900 and I had to drive 40 miles one way and he had to order them so that was a double trip but gas was $0.99 / gallon back then.... I do not even know what I would do with out the internet these days....

Archived