DC Sound Lab

Who has ran a level 3 in 1.25 cubes?

Man, I'm not trying to be an ass here, I promise!

But you are about to ask the manufacturer if that size works well, when they recommended it in the first place. What exactly are you expecting them to tell you? If you want to know how good they sound in a particular size enclosure then you HAVE to consider the port, other wise the comparison is pointless. I'm just trying to help you out here. I can read very well but you are just not considering everything you need to consider.

However, I will stop trying to help, I apologize for taking time to help you.

No I'm asking WHY that size is recommended. WHAT is different about this sub that it supposedly performs best in that size enclosure. I'm not asking what size is recommended but more of the why.

I haven't looked at the specs but it may be that sub has lower Vas (tighter suspension). Lower Vas subs need smaller boxes, though they also have lower efficiency due to that.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Here is the reply I got back

"Through our testing, our 12" speakers work best in 1.25 cubes to 1.5 cubes. The TS parameters of the speakers can be attributed to this, but the long story short- it is what they like.

As far as SQ/IN of port area, I recommend the typical 15-18sq/in of port, per cube for a slot port. For an aero, you can go slightly less than that, such as 12-15sq/in per cube."

Its not the only 12 that recommends that small, all the lower end f.i till the sp4 i think take 1.2 ...

I'm seeing 1.8-2.5 for their recommendation

You are right mobile site shoes all sizes and i didnt notice. Ny vmax12 only does 1 cube though lol

DC Subs all like smaller enclosures. I ran 2 12" XL's on about 1.35 cubes, and they sounded great.

I'm not exactly sure why you would ask a question, where the answer is on the manufacturers website, get responses trying to help, and then complain about the help they were trying to give you.

Seems like doing a little reading would've been a better bet. Or better yet, test enclosures. You say you're good with ports, so go build a couple of test enclosures and figure it out.

I know keep it on topic, my bad.

Let us know what you find out though after your test enclosures.

DC Subs all like smaller enclosures. I ran 2 12" XL's on about 1.35 cubes, and they sounded great.

I'm not exactly sure why you would ask a question, where the answer is on the manufacturers website, get responses trying to help, and then complain about the help they were trying to give you.

Seems like doing a little reading would've been a better bet. Or better yet, test enclosures. You say you're good with ports, so go build a couple of test enclosures and figure it out.

I appreciated him trying to help me but he wasn't offering any insight as to WHY these subs perform better in smaller enclosures. Sorry to come across as a dick. It was one of those days, my bad.

my first box was 1.25net.... then built another box at 1.75net.... much more happy with the output..... and rusty commented on my post and commented largest he recommends is 1.75

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/199526-ported-box-volume-lvl3-m2-12/

you can read this post in the link.... the first set of pics are of the 1.25 box then last pics are my current 1.75 box.... both at 33hz

Edited by MotorCityFats13

I appreciated him trying to help me but he wasn't offering any insight as to WHY these subs perform better in smaller enclosures. Sorry to come across as a dick. It was one of those days, my bad.

Actually he was asking a very legit question. Because if you're just asking about a 1.25cu ft enclosure for that sub, then someone could say oh yeah I have done one but it sounded like shit. But what he didn't say was that he was vastly under ported or over ported.

You're posing your question wrong if that's what you're trying to find out. What would be maybe better said is, I have "X" vehicle, I'm planning on "X" amount of watts, and I'm looking for experience with an enclosure of 1.25cu ft per spec. DC Audio's suggests 34hz tuning, what port sizes are you guys running and how close to spec are they tuned to?

Not just, who has done an enclosure at 1.25cu ft. for level 3 12's.

Regardless, the point has already been raised, but I'll repeat. Someone's 2 level 3 12's ported to 35 hz running off of a dc 2.0k in a 2006 honda civic sedan with an audison bit one and a pioneer head unit is going to sound different than your 2 level 3 12's ported to 35 hz running off of a dc 2.0k in a 2006 honda civic sedan with an audison bit one and a pioneer head unit. Every platform is different.

The only way you're going to find out, and I've been told this myself so I'm just passing it along, is if you build it and test it. If you think it doesn't sound right, come back with the problems you feel are present, and then it can be addressed from there.

I'll leave it there. Good luck.