Alpine CDE-HD149BT.. Not what you'd expect with DD-1

Im glad I noticed this thread last night and pointed it out to Steve and this ended up like it did.

So this thread proves nothing more than a self proclaimed "electrical engineer" and "acoustic engineer" talk crap on the dd-1 by saying its an idiot light and that its overpriced and nothing more than $10 in parts and that with a scope you will be able to tell the signal is clean..

Im really glad Tony D'Amore took the time out of his day and that the OP of this thread was local to drive to Tony and put this radio on the test bench at D'Amore HQ.

I cant wait to see the excuses now when not only the dd-1 says there is distortion along side of the oscilloscope showing a distorted wave along with the actual percentage of distortion from the HP distortion meter.....

I knew there was a reason I sold my snap-on scope that ate battery packs non stop when I got my dd-1, time and time again the dd-1 proves itself over and over.

Not bad for an idiot light........

Well, that escalated quickly! So much to learn in so few pages. I'm on overload!

HAHAHA Nah all good, proof is in the puddin'.. Or in our case, the video... All I can say is, if you have a 147/8/9, test it if you can and just verify its clean. I honestly wish i could say I was able to get a 149 that is clean at full volume, but I cant, Ive already shelled out $700+ on 3 different 149's, and the last one went to 27 vol when the other 2 did this at 22. So obviously, i went with the 27 vol one and sent the other 2 back... the MFG dates on these are Nov 2015 and Dec 2015, even the one that went to 27 vol says Dec 2015...

2018 F350 Platinum Hostile w/ Toyo 37 MT's

Big 3

Gately Audio 4 - 8" Enclosure

B2 Audio XM8's

SounDigital Evo 5000.1 2ohm

SounDigital Evo 1200.4 4ohm

AudioControl DM-608

PAC AmpPro - Optical Out

Kleinn Demon Train Horn

Viper DS4+ Smart Start

Tony and I looked at each other when we were doing the video just before he called it the "idiot light" - We had a good chuckle afterwards.. Priceless moment... Had to be there..

Big 3

B2 Audio XM8's

AudioControl DM-608

PAC AmpPro - Optical Out

Kleinn Demon Train Horn

Viper DS4+ Smart Start

Question headshot, how old is your 149bt?

I have one in my buddies yukon and iirc when I tested it all 3 channels are clean at max volume.

His is one from the release of that model.

Curious if its possible that Alpine has some issues.

If yours is purchased recently enough I would return it direct to Alpine with this information discovered.

Really makes me sad, because Ive been a diehard alpine user for a long time.

Guess I wont be able to retire my cda-117 anytime soon if this is going to keep popping up with them.

Well, that escalated quickly! So much to learn in so few pages. I'm on overload!

HAHAHA Nah all good, proof is in the puddin'.. Or in our case, the video... All I can say is, if you have a 147/8/9, test it if you can and just verify its clean. I honestly wish i could say I was able to get a 149 that is clean at full volume, but I cant, Ive already shelled out $700+ on 3 different 149's, and the last one went to 27 vol when the other 2 did this at 22. So obviously, i went with the 27 vol one and sent the other 2 back... the MFG dates on these are Nov 2015 and Dec 2015, even the one that went to 27 vol says Dec 2015...

Oh, I'm sure it is. I just laugh at how many people try to discredit the DD-1 and continue to get proved wrong.

I just don't trust head units anymore with the lazy ass way they're made and the poor quality that goes into them. Thus why I'm putting a tablet in my truck as a source unit instead. All i listen to is Pandora, Google Play, and stuff like that anyway, so why add a piece like a head unit in the mix if i don't have to. It sucks really. Head units used to be made seriously well back in the day, ESPECIALLY Alpine. Now days it seems you have to pay $1000+ for a decent head unit, and judging by the video, that doesn't even seem to ring true.

I'll say this much, I'd love to see Tony throw that new Fancy Pants Sony unit on the bench and see what that does. Everyone seems to be going ape-shit over it, and I gotta say though I'm not a professional or anywhere even close to an engineer, for that price, it's not worth it.

Anyway, sorry for your situation, but at the same time, thank you for starting this so we could all learn something and be entertained at the same time. I for one, really appreciate it.

Good luck to you. I hope you end up happy somehow.

Question headshot, how old is your 149bt?

I have one in my buddies yukon and iirc when I tested it all 3 channels are clean at max volume.

His is one from the release of that model.

Curious if its possible that Alpine has some issues.

If yours is purchased recently enough I would return it direct to Alpine with this information discovered.

Really makes me sad, because Ive been a diehard alpine user for a long time.

Guess I wont be able to retire my cda-117 anytime soon if this is going to keep popping up with them.

So the 3 I have, 2 of them were ordered off Amazon, 1 from Brick and Motor (the one we tested), 2nd from S E international (Already Shipped Back) 3rd was from SoundWerks in Scottsdale. All in the last 30 days...I went over to Sounds Good to Me, guy was going to give me the display model claiming they rotate them out every couple of months, I could care less as long as the signal was clean, got to Sounds Good To Me, and the 149 kept rejecting the CD as an error... So off the SoundWerks I went. Where we test in the shop and that one went to 27.

The MFG dates on these were Nov 2015, Dec 2015, and the one I got from SoundWerks which is installed in the boat now I believe was a Dec 2015. Again, dont know when this issue started with them, but obviously theres something going on. Whats weird as Tony points out, the 40hz is clean to full vol, the issue starts when we hit the 1kHZ, which we can speculate all day long what we think it might be, possible even the DSP... I still have the one from Brick and Motor, Im actually contacting them now to let them know to raise this issue with Alpine. I might even send an email or call also to let them know this is a bum deal.. If I get a response, Ill keep you posted...

Big 3

B2 Audio XM8's

AudioControl DM-608

PAC AmpPro - Optical Out

Kleinn Demon Train Horn

Viper DS4+ Smart Start

Ok.

They were announced in January at CES 2013 iirc.

My buddy got his through my other buddy that owns a shop in late April of 2013.

I then installed it in early May of 2013.

So the radio Ive tested and using in my buddies truck is a couple years older than yours.

Ok.

They were announced in January at CES 2013 iirc.

My buddy got his through my other buddy that owns a shop in late April of 2013.

I then installed it in early May of 2013.

So the radio Ive tested and using in my buddies truck is a couple years older than yours.

Try to figure out when this became an issue would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. But what I think could be a safe gamble is that the older ones could be just fine, its the newer ones that have the issue, but again, its hard to say unless we just started bench testing them from every month or unless Alpine came clean and told us when they changed something, maybe a component in the DSP, different chip, im sure the list could go on and on with possible reason, but the only way to know for sure, is a DD-1, a 1kHZ tone, and testing to validate. Id give up my 149 I have now for a clean 2013 model.. HAHAHA

Big 3

B2 Audio XM8's

AudioControl DM-608

PAC AmpPro - Optical Out

Kleinn Demon Train Horn

Viper DS4+ Smart Start

Archived