Alpine CDE-HD149BT.. Not what you'd expect with DD-1

Tony or Steve question. Does the dd1 work with kicker's warhorse? I remember Cody couldn't get his to work with a o-scope? I don't remember why though

I think it was something with the tech behind the amp

I believe the warhorse exceeds 1% distortion at all times, so it wouldn't work.

I have tried a number of kicker amps. I can usually get the dd1 to set an overlap but the cc1 will not set a crossover ever!!! As soon as you connect it green light turns red even without an volume..

I proclaim that they a junky amps... Tony have you tested any of them

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone heard anything else about this issue ? Is it isolated to just a couple of Alpine HU's models , 149's with a man date of Nov and Dec 2015 ? I was in the process of planning my purchase of a new Alpine HU , low and behold, turns out its this same exact model, a CDE-HD149BT. I could go with a 148 if there is not much difference in the two , provided those don't have the same issue. I mentioned this issue to my local audio dealer and he looked at me like I had two heads. I don't think he fully understood what I was talking about, lol. Anyways I would like to know more before I purchase a HU, thanks

Has anyone heard anything else about this issue ? Is it isolated to just a couple of Alpine HU's models , 149's with a man date of Nov and Dec 2015 ? I was in the process of planning my purchase of a new Alpine HU , low and behold, turns out its this same exact model, a CDE-HD149BT. I could go with a 148 if there is not much difference in the two , provided those don't have the same issue. I mentioned this issue to my local audio dealer and he looked at me like I had two heads. I don't think he fully understood what I was talking about, lol. Anyways I would like to know more before I purchase a HU, thanks

I wish I could have tested a 148, thought I ordered the 2nd one as a 148, but 149 showed up... Trust me, the Alpine tech support dude when I called, I could only imagine his facial expressions when I was trying to tell him. He went round and round, saying that every HU has a clipped signal at full volume, and theres no way you wouldnt get a clipped signal. When I spelled it out, start to finish, explaining distortion, level, then voltage reading, as show in the video, .5v clean, you cant gain match that on low voltage setting. All he said was, its not supposed to do that... No Shit Sherlock!! But it is... Then he said, try it with Defeat Off... Tried that, same results!! Ive read some other posts on forums where guys have basically used this, and switched to high volt in claiming it sounds better. Of course everyone though he was crazy, but I understand why now. Ive tried to reach out and make connections with Alpine both on Linkdin and FB, but no traction. Tony said he was going make a call to one of his people about the issue, but Im sure its not a priority with all the other things going on. Theres got to be a way to get through to someone at Alpine to help address this, I just dont know how yet...

2018 F350 Platinum Hostile w/ Toyo 37 MT's

Big 3

Gately Audio 4 - 8" Enclosure

B2 Audio XM8's

SounDigital Evo 5000.1 2ohm

SounDigital Evo 1200.4 4ohm

AudioControl DM-608

PAC AmpPro - Optical Out

Kleinn Demon Train Horn

Viper DS4+ Smart Start

No shit Sherlock, HAHA. Right. My local dealer said pretty much the same thing any HU will distort at max volume,he also said that is why you need an amp so you do not have to turn it up that far, lol. I told him it should go past 22 and asked him if he bench tested them before selling them. He said Alpine does all that before they send them to him , so there was no need to do that. Anyways I plan on talking with him a little further when I go in to place my order on some other things.

Headshothills, I really appreciate you finding all this out and posting the info. Otherwise I would be chasing my tail big time on my first major install in 12 years. Do you know if there is much difference between the 148 and 149 ?

There are HU's that will not clip or distort at max volume but for what most of them cost none of them should , at any volume setting. IMO

thanks again HSH..................if I hear anything I will let you know.

No shit Sherlock, HAHA. Right. My local dealer said pretty much the same thing any HU will distort at max volume,he also said that is why you need an amp so you do not have to turn it up that far, lol. I told him it should go past 22 and asked him if he bench tested them before selling them. He said Alpine does all that before they send them to him , so there was no need to do that. Anyways I plan on talking with him a little further when I go in to place my order on some other things.

Headshothills, I really appreciate you finding all this out and posting the info. Otherwise I would be chasing my tail big time on my first major install in 12 years. Do you know if there is much difference between the 148 and 149 ?

There are HU's that will not clip or distort at max volume but for what most of them cost none of them should , at any volume setting. IMO

Quick Update - I made some traction today with Alpine...

But let me table that real quick and respond to RW... I do agree, "FULL" Volume, like 35 of 35, in most cases will likely distort/clip.. but as most have shown in video's a majority of HU's go clean to the click before the final volume number, so I think its a safe bet to say as well as accepted in most qulity HU's that I should get 34 vol clean.. My Kenwood X997 was that way, clean to 34, 35 the DD-1 triggered.. Again, 22 vs 34, thats a major difference, not only in volume notches, but also in Volts being sent out the RCA's.. I can live with 3.5v, I cant live with .5 volts. I even tested my Pioneer AVH-5500 in my truck.. Volume goes to 40.. Clean to 39, at 40 it pops the DD-1.. In both cases, the Sub channels and 40hz were clean to 40 volume, the 1kHz was only clean to 39 on the Pioneer and 34 on the Kenwood, but again, thats acceptable.

In regards to the 148 vs the 149, the biggest difference is the 2 line Dot Matrix on the 148, and the 3 line Dot Matrix on the 149... thats about it in terms of difference... all the internal settings are the same, crossover, t.correction, 9band ParaEQ....

So today I made contact with the local AZ Alpine USA America rep. I reached out on FB to him, he read through the entire message I sent, even watched the video. He was shocked. He put me in touch with the Supervisor of Tech Support, and provided all his contact information. Honestly, all I needed was their email syntax, and technically, I can now email anyone in Alpine by following their naming convention for emails. I wrote up an entire summary from start to finish covering all aspects that have essentially been posted here, but obviously set forth in a professional email to address and make aware a problem.

While I was doing this, I also reached out on FB to the main Alpine USA Americas FB Page and sent a message because the page said they respond within the hour. I sent a summary via message as well as posted a write up and YouTube link to their page for approval. About an hour later, I received a response and was provided with the full contact details for the Manager of QA over Alpine USA America in CA.

I also dropped names in my message to the Alpine USA Americas FB Page, they did confirm and state that the Manager of Tech Support is currently out of the office. This fell in line with what the local rep here in AZ told me, cause he did inform me the Tech Support Manager was out on Jury Duty. So that made me feel better that the FB IM person did in fact check to see if that person was available.

I took my entire write-up email I sent to the Tech Support Manager, and CC'ed the local rep here in AZ and forwarded it to the QA Manager. I have not heard back from him yet, but was assured the QA manager was the right person to be in contact with.. I'll keep you updated on the progress....

Big 3

B2 Audio XM8's

AudioControl DM-608

PAC AmpPro - Optical Out

Kleinn Demon Train Horn

Viper DS4+ Smart Start

Quick Update - I made some traction today with Alpine...

But let me table that real quick and respond to RW... I do agree, "FULL" Volume, like 35 of 35, in most cases will likely distort/clip.. but as most have shown in video's a majority of HU's go clean to the click before the final volume number, so I think its a safe bet to say as well as accepted in most qulity HU's that I should get 34 vol clean.. My Kenwood X997 was that way, clean to 34, 35 the DD-1 triggered.. Again, 22 vs 34, thats a major difference, not only in volume notches, but also in Volts being sent out the RCA's.. I can live with 3.5v, I cant live with .5 volts. I even tested my Pioneer AVH-5500 in my truck.. Volume goes to 40.. Clean to 39, at 40 it pops the DD-1.. In both cases, the Sub channels and 40hz were clean to 40 volume, the 1kHz was only clean to 39 on the Pioneer and 34 on the Kenwood, but again, thats acceptable.

In regards to the 148 vs the 149, the biggest difference is the 2 line Dot Matrix on the 148, and the 3 line Dot Matrix on the 149... thats about it in terms of difference... all the internal settings are the same, crossover, t.correction, 9band ParaEQ....

So today I made contact with the local AZ Alpine USA America rep. I reached out on FB to him, he read through the entire message I sent, even watched the video. He was shocked. He put me in touch with the Supervisor of Tech Support, and provided all his contact information. Honestly, all I needed was their email syntax, and technically, I can now email anyone in Alpine by following their naming convention for emails. I wrote up an entire summary from start to finish covering all aspects that have essentially been posted here, but obviously set forth in a professional email to address and make aware a problem.

While I was doing this, I also reached out on FB to the main Alpine USA Americas FB Page and sent a message because the page said they respond within the hour. I sent a summary via message as well as posted a write up and YouTube link to their page for approval. About an hour later, I received a response and was provided with the full contact details for the Manager of QA over Alpine USA America in CA.

I also dropped names in my message to the Alpine USA Americas FB Page, they did confirm and state that the Manager of Tech Support is currently out of the office. This fell in line with what the local rep here in AZ told me, cause he did inform me the Tech Support Manager was out on Jury Duty. So that made me feel better that the FB IM person did in fact check to see if that person was available.

I took my entire write-up email I sent to the Tech Support Manager, and CC'ed the local rep here in AZ and forwarded it to the QA Manager. I have not heard back from him yet, but was assured the QA manager was the right person to be in contact with.. I'll keep you updated on the progress....

So just out of curiosity... Why r u chasing this? Seems like a no brainier .. Just don't buy Alpine! They've been over priced junk for years..

It seems trival to pursue this.. But again I'm curious.. But it's again good to know

So just out of curiosity... Why r u chasing this? Seems like a no brainier .. Just don't buy Alpine! They've been over priced junk for years..

It seems trival to pursue this.. But again I'm curious.. But it's again good to know

Good Question, Do I have an honest answer, Not really...

If I had to guess, I think it comes down to me as a person, wanting to do the right thing and hold those accountable when they need to be held accountable or should be held accountable. Im an IT guy by trade, I work on a lot of projects, Im not perfect, I make mistakes, but I hold myself accountable when I screw up or make a mistake and own up to it and fix the issue or problem to make our customers happy. Its called customer service. Sometimes there's issues that are more complex, but my team and myself work through them with the customer to make sure we meet their needs and everyone wins. How far will this go, who knows, but at least personally, I can say I tried. Its much easier for me to sit back and blow it off and say "Bye Felicia" to the whole situation. But in the end, that wouldnt help anyone or solve anything. I dont know how else to sum it up. Im not counting on anything or expecting anything in return, but.. If I do get something in return, then its just icing on the cake...

Big 3

B2 Audio XM8's

AudioControl DM-608

PAC AmpPro - Optical Out

Kleinn Demon Train Horn

Viper DS4+ Smart Start

Archived