Need some insight as I'm currently on the losing end of replacing my timing belt tensioner....

So I noticed on the previous history of my car, the timing belt tensioner hadn't been replaced with the timing belt (done 6k miles ago). Did some research and these cars (04 subaru impreza wagon) have seen some issues with the tensioner around 100k, so I went ahead and bought one.

Went to install it today and everything was going fine. I put 2 spring clamps on both cams to keep the belt in position. Turned the crank pulley to the notch guides so everything was lined up. compressed the tensioner piston to take tension off the belt. But when I unbolted the tensioner and took it out, the crank and both cams sprung back counterclockwise maybe an 1/8th of a turn....I shit my pants.

So now I really don't know what to do. I'm confident that the spring clamps kept the belt from skipping teeth, so I can say the cams aren't out timing, but I don't want to just wrap everything up assuming it'll be fine and have a big problem, like boom.

I can either turn the crank back to TDC clockwise (assuming the cams will follow, although the belt isn't wrapped around the crank right now) or leave it exactly the way it is since I know the spring clamps kept the belt on both cams. I already have this question posted on NASIOC to see what they say, but that forum seems to be drowning in For Sale posts.

I'm just glad I live 2 miles from work so I can at least walk tomorrow.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Almost forgot, these are what the pulleys look like right now...

crank (blue is where it's supposed to be)

2sbnxie.jpg

driver's side

2ps3ztu.jpg

passenger's side

2nm21oj.jpg

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

yup

spoke to a buddy tonight and I think I'm gonna pick up a new belt just for the hell of it tomorrow. At least then I'll have the marks to make sure I can line up the cams again. Said I should be ok with turning the crank and cams (clockwise) back to position without the belt on. Hopefully I didn't screw anything up, but I'll know when I try to fire it up tomorrow.

dont the cam pulleys have timing marks also? its a best practice to bring #1 to TDC on compression stroke before messing around with timing belt/chain. That said im not very familiar with your engine.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

As long as your timing marks are spot on when the belt is tensioned you should be good to go, and there is no problem turning the cams or crank to get them back to the marks as long as you do not turn them a full revolution.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

dont the cam pulleys have timing marks also? its a best practice to bring #1 to TDC on compression stroke before messing around with timing belt/chain. That said im not very familiar with your engine.

They do, but these subaru engines are weird and TDC is technically not TDC for these engines. Since the pistons are sideways, the cam and crank marks are when the pistons are mid stroke. Its weird and makes me nervous

As long as your timing marks are spot on when the belt is tensioned you should be good to go, and there is no problem turning the cams or crank to get them back to the marks as long as you do not turn them a full revolution.

Thank you, I appreciate anyone who can reinforce the same input. Doing anything with engines or timing makes me nervous so I'm very much about doing it by the book. When the cams turned by themselves, I had no idea what happened and couldn't find evidence of it happening to anyone else. Guess it throws my game off.

this is all back together. Started her up and it's running fine.

5trvb9.jpg

Thanks again for everyones input. It definitely put my mind at ease!

Archived