disc brakes all around,brake pedal spongy at times

Just had my rear brakes done at a shop, replaced rear calipers/rotors/pads. I noticed within a few minutes of leaving that sometimes it stops great other times it seems the pedal becomes spongy while braking and i have to press down almsot twice as far to get the car to stop. I am thinking the brakes were not bled properly/needs blakes bled again. this happens about 1 in 5 braking occasions

anyone have input?

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

Brakes need to be be blead again and to make sure the bleeder screws are tight.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

I am going to have to echo whats already been said. Take it back to the shop that did the work ASAP. Have them bleed the brakes and check for leaks. Sounds like they did not get all the air out of the new calipers which is a real common mistake for a rookie. I say rookie because letting a car leave a shop with air in the brake system is dangerous , ranks right up there with leaving a wheel loose. It may also have a leak where the brake hose bolts to the caliper or a faulty caliper. Regardless of the issue the shop should take care of it without charging you for something else. You may suggest having another more experienced tech at that shop look at it, sort of a second opinion from the same shop. If they want to charge you another nickel I would take it some where else for a second opinion and bill them for any additional expense. I assume the pedal was not spongy before and installing new rotors,pads and calipers should have helped the pedal not hurt it. What kind of vehicle is it ?

Take it back and male them fix it.

Here's a secret, lots of shops dont properly bleed brakes, they just gravity bleed them which is hit or miss mostly miss in my experience.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

yea im pretty sure there be some air in the lines, i did notice a younger fella workin on it originally i suspect he maybe did a cobble job. I already left a message and I will be making sure they square it up right

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

take it back and nicely ask them to fix it correctly. poorly operating brakes are a death trap for you and others on and around the road. Also, it could be your brake booster / vacuum system, but its doubtful since the problem started right after the brake job.

Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do.

What kind of car is it ? I am just curious because a lot of them have the bleeder in a bad location ( not at the top of the caliper } making it rough to get all the air out of the system, even when bleeding properly, never mind trying to gravity bleed. Had this happen to me on a later model honda civic one time BUT I had sense enough to test drive the car,catch the spongy pedal and repair the issue before giving it back to the customer.

Archived