Welding Cable VS Car audio cable for power runs

Strand count doesnt mean much in terms of carrying more or less amperage.

Also strand count doesnt mean 1 wire is better than another. A wire with more strands but smaller gauge strands can still carry the same load as an equal sized wire that uses less strands but larger strands.

All that strand count is really going to effect is flexibility for how we use the wire in car audio.

When strand count matters is for AC when you have to deal with "skin effect" which means the ac is flowing more less on the surface of the wire, and not through it. The effect becomes more and more apparent as the frequency increases.

But vehicles charging system is DC this is not really any sort of issue.

As for the casing on welding cable wire each manufacture is different, some are stronger than others.

This is the same for the casing in wire made for car audio.

You cant really dump all the wire in to different categories and say one is better than the other when it can go both ways for both types of wires dependent on brand.

Typically audio cable will be more flexible, but Ive seen some decent Flex-A-Prene welding cable that was not too shabby compared to other welding cable, but it was a decent bit more.

Another thing you have to compare is the actual gauge of the wire.

The majority of car audio wire is oversized and sold as 1/0.

If you buy 1/0 welding cable it will be smaller than 1/0 audio wire, so you will need to step up to 2/0 welding cable usually to get the same size wire that you would with car audio wire.

One huge PRO for wire made for audio is that some companies silver tin their ofc wire which helps the wire last longer and doesnt corrode as easily or fast.

One huge PRO for welding wire is that it is typically made in the USA, but not all brands are.

Another PRO for audio wire is that it typically looks nicer in the install. You usually have better access to colors that will go with your theme.

I do feel that some audio wire companies that are ofc are not truly ofc and have other metals in them to make it look like its true ofc and have the same weight

Ive seen some pretty iffy wire imo and some seem to take solder a lot worse than others which is odd.

Typically its easy to tell because as soon as you strip the wire to put it in a terminal or an amp the strands spring out, and dont hold any form even if you try to twist them, where as some wire you strip it and it doesnt poof out all over the place.

Some of the best OFC wire I ever worked with has been Rockford Fosgate, Kicker Hyperflex, Sundown, JL Audio, XS Power XS Fleks, CT Sounds, Stinger (but its not an oversized 1/0 like the others).

You will pay more of a premium price for most these brands though.

I also use to like the Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks but their new stuff as of a few years ago all seems thinner in every way. Thinner/cheaper casing, thinner wire, and even feels like cheaper wire. Might just be me though.

Sadly most audio cable is not held to any sort of standard like welding cable is, which is why you find dirt cheap companies selling 1/0 wire that is the size of 4gauge with a massive casing around it to look like its 1/0 when its not. Only the more expensive audio wire is held to a BC-5W2 marine compliance, so typically you are getting a better stronger casing and a cable that will not corrode as quickly since it can be used in marine applications (boats). Along with some being held to a CEA standard of meeting or exceeding the gauge that the company is claiming.

Also I tend to start to wonder how one company can sell a product that is 4/0 gauge for the same price or less as one company selling a quality 1/0 gauge, and is cheaper than the majority of the welding cable 4/0, while another company selling 4/0 is selling it for nearly $2.00 per foot more than the other 4/0 gauge guys. It really makes you think about what your actually buying when your getting that cheaper audio wire.

Mind=Blown...

worth the quote again.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since audio cable is not welding cable and would not be used as welding cable there for it shouldnt have to pass any welding cable tests.

Just like I wouldn't want to use welding cable in a boat because it does not pass any BC-5W2 standards for marine grade that the majority of the quality audio cables do.

Also there are some manufactures that are also CEA compliant as well.

But it seems like I already said this stuff pages ago.

Now before you keep bragging about RoHS standards you should look what those are for wire.

Because it has nothing to do with the durability of the wire or insulating casing itself.

A wire or cable product labeled RoHS compliant or a product that has obtained RoHS compliance follows the guidelines listed by the European Union under the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS). A product that is RoHS compliant contains no lead, cadium, mercury, hexacalent chromium, polybrominated biphenysis, or polybrominated diphenyl ethers. RoHS material substitutes these with more environmentally friendly alternatives.

http://www.awcwire.com/faq-rohs.aspx

You must be mistaken RoHS for SAE J1127, but even then another test that just contains to fluid chemicals and if they will eat through the casing/insulation.

Also oddly enough Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks wire has a better temperature rating than Flex-A-Prene welding cable does.

Sadly all companies that are making wire used for car audio do not list these specs, though I feel they should.

But just because they don't doesn't mean that its worse than the alternative being welding wire.

CKtNrQ.png

I also just noticed that Welding cable casing is EPDM, do you know what that is?

Its rubber.

I use it in my fish pond for a liner. Its also used for flat roofs aka rubber roofing.

Now which is better is beyond me, but I have fixed plenty of leaks in my pond over the years, and also just had to replace the rubber roofing on my house not long ago that decided to leak and trash my bedroom.

Also oddly enough Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks wire has a better temperature rating than Flex-A-Prene welding cable does.

Sadly all companies that are making wire used for car audio do not list these specs, though I feel they should.

But just because they don't doesn't mean that its worse than the alternative being welding wire.

CKtNrQ.png

I also just noticed that Welding cable casing is EPDM, do you know what that is?

Its rubber.

I use it in my fish pond for a liner. Its also used for flat roofs aka rubber roofing.

Now which is better is beyond me, but I have fixed plenty of leaks in my pond over the years, and also just had to replace the rubber roofing on my house not long ago that decided to leak and trash my bedroom.

To be fair, using that cable in a vehicle is completely different than using it would be on a roof or in a pond. In mobile audio use, it won't be getting blasted by UV's all day.

I'm assuming they use that material for abrasion resistance, which IMO is a big problem with mobile audio cable that tends to use a silicone jacket.

Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense.

03' Trailblazer LT
Dayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweeters
Dayton Audio Ultimax 18"
Pioneer 9601 & 8604
XS Power D3400
2 runs 1/0
Singer 250

Im not talking about using the wire on a roof or in a pond.

Im talking strictly about EPDM.

It punctures rather easily.

Also EPDM is resistant to UV as well as other things such as acid rain.

Obviously the casing on a wire and what is used for pond liners are going to be different, but I thought it was interesting being epdm.

But you cant throw all audio wire brands in the same barrel with each other because they are clearly not the same.

You have companies selling "ofc" that is made from copper, aluminum, brass, and who knows what other metals..

Sadly there is a problem with some companies.

Also one main reason for all these standards and testing on welding wire is due to its industrial use, and Osha.

There is really no one to the car audio guys that your product has to be this this and this or it cant be sold.

So again there is cheap audio wire, and there is expensive, and the expensive is a night and day difference than what you may get from something like bullz audio or raptor power wire...

i read the topic, and part of the first post...

ive used both.
both have pros and cons.

welding wire you can lay across your exhaust and not worry about it melting. car audio wire, will melt.

car audio wires flexy, only the super expensive welding cable is flexy

terminal sizing on welding cable is wayyyyy better then car audio IMO

car audio wire looks better.

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Archived