anyone know about fords and 3G upgrades

I want to to upgrade my 87 bronco to a 3g but instead of going with a stock 3g want to go high output.

Want to do this upgrade http://www.thewebwheeler.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1918

But with this alt http://www.mechman.com/alternators/ford/pre-1978/all-except-fe-engines/1964-1978/g-series-240-amp-alternator-for-ford/

Using this harness http://m.ebay.com/itm/Ford-3G-Alternator-Conversion-Harness-Connector-1-wire-/171981074940?nav=SEARCH

Alts that fit are listed here

Screenshot_2016-01-23-13-13-33_zpsm9sqkg

And if you haven't guessed by now now they don't make a high output alt for my 87 bronco so will this game plan work?

if the alt you are upgrading too is the same as the 3g in the swap then yes it will work but make sure you upgrade all the wires, I know if you do a 3g conversion in some other cars like 60-70's mustangs and dont upgrade every needed wire that the high current runs through you get insta-fire

but first I would do what crispy_chick3n said on post #2 since you will probably not be able to find a stock alt pushing more than 130amp from a donor vehicle but maybe this is enough for your build

Well problem with high output alts using a 2g case is that the alt has to work too hard when the smaller case is used and this leads to premature failure. At least this is what I've read. I'm guessing this is why they don't make a high output alt for my ride. I'm mainly just wandering if the high output alt posted will work since they don't show dimensions of the alts.

I would suggest finding a donor alt from a junkyard that fits the swap getting it to work then getting a HO version from the year, model and engine of said donor car this way you know it works and you dont just blow $400 on the HO alt .... I know the 1g and 2g alts suck hence people doing this swap and 3g is the widest most common ford alt in any car/truck and many aftermarket options

well, if its a 302 or 351 it should be pretty straight forward to make a bracket and just switch to a large case GM 3 wire alt. Actually, i would google aftermarket brackets and see what you get

Just get a single wire alt, and skip the harness altogether.

You could use any alt you want and only need to make a bracket, no special harness needed.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

well, if its a 302 or 351 it should be pretty straight forward to make a bracket and just switch to a large case GM 3 wire alt. Actually, i would google aftermarket brackets and see what you get

Just get a single wire alt, and skip the harness altogether.

You could use any alt you want and only need to make a bracket, no special harness needed.

was going to suggest the same thing... large case gm ftw. single wire, or externally regulated.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Archived