Second Skin Audio

Question for the smart guys

unfortunately I did not take any pics of that set up, it was pre smart phone so I usually just wanted to get jobs like that outta the way. you could even face subs forward and port up through the rear deck. That is always a possible solution, thats how I had my car for the longest and always had good numbers. there are so many possibilities with your system I am sure you are going to get a lot of good advice on here all with different ideas play around and find what works best. Its a race won by slow hard work not a sprint.

Yes sir! Everything has been chilling in my closet for a few months and since it's getting warmer I want to knock it out. I'll have to go look in the trunk again and see where the deck is. There are a few ledges that kill the height possibilities til mid trunk I think but I'd have enough room to put a port in giving I can squeeze the subs in that far. Definitely appreciate the help!

you have 8 cubes, assuming youre doing a single layer box with a double baffle. Factor in sub disp, and youre looking around 7.6 cubes. With a decent port, lets say that eats up 3/4 of a cube.Without any bracing youll have near 7 cubes net, but possibly a bit less.As for port area.. if its forward facing, your max height is 16.5 (with a slot). Absolute max port width is 5.75", but i dont like playing THAT close. lets say 5.25" of width.Basic multiplication gives you a max port area of ~86sqin.This *could* work, but itll be tight, in almost every possible way.Another thing to consider is actually fitting your box into the trunk opening. Many times, the opening is less wide and shorter than the actual trunk. As a result, you may need to either build in the trunk (kreg jig is sex) or cut down on dims somewhere. Unfortunately, you really cannot cut down on space.My advice is to invest in a chiropractor, once this build is complete.Good luck :good:

Lol yea most definitely will be a sore guy afterwards. Luckily I'm small and agile and with the looks of how the kreg jig works I'm hoping it won't be to horribly painful. I can make the box longer to get more space I just wanted to keep it off the trunk a little to get to the tail lights if needed which isn't that bad

I did a system that had 3 15" subs in a monte, I did a 4th order with the port blowing up through the rear deck, sounded great for 3 w6 15" subs, of course this was 2003 or 4 i think. when the subs were still black and made in the USA

If you're going for SPL, this seems like the best bet. A bandpass box and a ported box have the same efficiency, if the box size and the bandwidth is identical. Where bandpass has the edge here is that you can put 100% of the subwoofers output into the cabin. Basically the ported box is going to waste a lot of energy rattling your deck lid, pressurizing the trunk, etc. The bandpass will only pressurize the cabin.

This is the same reason that tiny cars post big SPL numbers; if there's less air to move, that raises The Schroeder Frequency and that raises your SPL.

I did a system that had 3 15" subs in a monte, I did a 4th order with the port blowing up through the rear deck, sounded great for 3 w6 15" subs, of course this was 2003 or 4 i think. when the subs were still black and made in the USA

If you're going for SPL, this seems like the best bet. A bandpass box and a ported box have the same efficiency, if the box size and the bandwidth is identical. Where bandpass has the edge here is that you can put 100% of the subwoofers output into the cabin. Basically the ported box is going to waste a lot of energy rattling your deck lid, pressurizing the trunk, etc. The bandpass will only pressurize the cabin.

This is the same reason that tiny cars post big SPL numbers; if there's less air to move, that raises The Schroeder Frequency and that raises your SPL.

BUHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAh wow just wow do you really believe the nonsense that you are saying?

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

WHAT!?!?!? :fool:

But What Do I Know?

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 3.8

• JVC KD-R975BTS
  • Clarion EQS746
  • Kenwood P907PS
  • Ascendant Audio 12" Havoc v.1
  • Ampere Audio 2000.1
  • MB Quart Onyx 800.4
  • XS Power D3400 - Hood
  • XS Power D975 - Trunk
  • Singer 240A
  • Sky High OFC 0 & 4 gauge
  • Kno Knoise Kolossus Deadener

anyone see the 3 15's in a 4th in the trunk part? Am i mis reading that?

lol shit.. i had to wall to fit 2
On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Archived