Second Skin Audio

L7 electric smell

Mosley_23

I have 2 kicker l7 15 q series. I was listening to them for maybe 25 minutes then I started to smell something funny and turn them off right away. So I got home and took both of them out of them box and only one of them had the funny smell so I tested them both and the one that had a funny smell the coils read 3.7 and 3.6 and the l7 that didn't have a smell read 3.9 and 4.1. They are 4 ohm subwoofers. I'm running them with a us amps d3dm amp. My electrical is decent. I have all 0 gauge including big 3. Mechman 240. And a 3400 agm up front and a 3100 agm in the back. Do you think the subwoofer is ok?

If they were brand new that could possibly be the excess glue burning off but I doubt that is the issue

Its really a guessing game diagnosing a problem on the computer but it is likely the amp tuning not being correct

If you plan on running amps your entire life you should just buy a proper tuning tool like the SMD stuff

It could also be your box, you cannot play below the port tuning at loud volumes or the subs will hate you

to answer you question yes the subs are fine especially since they still read ohms on your meter

blown coils read nothing

that smell was your coil burning from being too hot probably from distortion

after a few abuses the coils will not work anymore

Distortion kills. You are kicking their butt. What amp are you running? What electrical upgrades have you done?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I run kicker too there is 2 very distinct smells. Smells 1 is like poop on fire. That's the coil over heating and the glue melting your smelling.The second is electrical that's when your clipping/ distortion. Them subs about to POP!

Archived