Second Skin Audio

Kicker compR 40CWR122 displacement specs

darkbreeze

New member, what's up. Thanks in advance, in case I forget to say it later.

Anyhow, trying to figure the math on some tweaking of a sub enclosure and due to going from a pair of entry level JL Audio 12's to a pair of Kicker compR 12's. Model is 40CWR122 and I've looked everywhere I can think of, including pages of Google results, the model specific product manual and a slew of forum posts, but I cannot find a single mention of the unit displacement for these subs so I can factor them into the internal sq footage calculator to apply to my tuning. Anybody have any idea what the specifics on displacement are for these subs?

BTW, if I've asked something stupid, that's ok too, I'm a long time automotive tech and I get asked stupid crap all the time. I let it slide. You can too. :)

Open to recommendations as well and I don't know how you all feel about the Torres calculator, but I have the data text file to plugin to that if you want to see if anything jumps out at you. I think I have it almost pegged, with a single box that has separate chambers, one for each sub, each chamber consisting of

Gross volume: 2.2 ft3

Net volume: 2.11 ft3

Port length: 11.5"

Port size: 4" PVC

Port volume: .09 ft3

Port area: 12.56 in2

Tuning frequency: 33.34Hz

But I'm not 110% certain those are an accurate assessment as there are a few things such as port wall thickness of .237 x port length (4" PVC) that are or are not being taken into account. I've got them plugged into Torres but I don't see any change in the resulting tuning frequency with or without the port thickness specs and number of common port walls.

Each sub chamber has an inside dimension of 14.5" x 17 1/2" x 15". Outside dimension of 16.5 (H) x 19 (W) x 16 (D) using 3/4" MDF. Distance to back wall from end of port is 4".

Mostly I'm just looking for the sub displacement, but I know when to take advice, so I'm certainly open to any offered by experienced enclosure builders. Thanks again.

Subs are running on Jensen power 900.1.

Ports were longer at one point, but I was running in the mid 20's on the tuning frequency, which was verified by the tech at my local shop, and he recommended that I needed to lop 1/2" off the end of the port in the box since they were only 3.5" from the back wall, now they are 4" from the wall. And I lopped off 1.5" that protruded from the box. It sounds pretty good right now, but I've got a small issue with, for lack of a better way to explain it, a "tennis ball" sound, like the sound a tennis ball makes when it's hit with a tennis racket, on certain songs or when certain bass frequencies are predominant.

It's not the subs. My JL Audio 12"s do the exact same thing in this setup and all four subs are new. It's either the box or the amp, and I can't pinpoint which one it is. I know the amp is a little underpowered for the the Kicker subs, but I'm really not looking to blow out anybody's windows or win any shows, I just want to be able to play rock or rap at 75% volume without that goddamn tennis ball sound.

I'm running a Sony MEX-XB100BT head unit and it's dialed in pretty good, so I don't think my problem noise is related to that.

Archived