Second Skin Audio

A Tapped Horn Experiment

BFM designed horn?

The one I built? No. BFM doesn't do tapped horns.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Another way to deal with this would be to use a t-line. It's easy to tune a t-line low without running into the problem that small low-tuned ported boxes have. Also with a T-line you can stuff the line to further reduce the output peak at tuning.

The thought of stuffing a horn came to mind :rofl:

030214_av_01.jpg

Buddy of mine has one of these.

Yeah Bose discovered (aquired) t-lines and now they're going with it. I'm not a fan of stuffing either and it's been a big reason why I haven't tried a T-line yet, everyone recommends stuffing to take out the resonances.

• 1 month later...

My TermLab Rebel came in today so I figured I'd play around with it a little bit and see what kind of output I was getting out of this tapped horn.

My test vehicle is a bone stock 1996 Honda Accord. Box is in the trunk with the port facing the trunk latch. The amp is a crappy USAcoustics 300 x 2 that probably is older than half the people on this site. It will put out about 48 volts into 4 ohms (about 575 watts) before clipping. In addition to the TermLab I had my AMM-1 and o-scope to see how much power I was actually getting out of the thing.

For comparison purposes I tested the normal subwoofer setup that's in this vehicle. Its my wife's daily driver and her bass needs are very modest. Usually what's in there is a pair of Infinity 10"s in a sealed box. I measured it and it maxed out at 130.9 dB at 40 hz.

Now for the tapped horn:

VRNc56D.jpg

138.0 dB on music. Given this vehicle has zero sound deadener in it and rattles like crazy, I was pretty happy with that number. Its about a five times increase is sound energy compared to the sealed box.

Here is the really interesting part, I had the AMM-1 hooked up to see how many watts it took, here is the result:

8VXzLKa.jpg

Only 212 watts!!! Horns are known for raising impedance quite a bit, to get 212 watts out of 48 volts the impedance had to be around 10 ohms. I'm sure I could wire the sub lower for more power, but I'd probably run out of excursion capacity on the sub, so I'll probably just leave it.

So far its been an interesting testing session!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Love this experiment

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived