Sundown Audio

sound quality differences between mono amps

VDub916

It's only confusing because hi/low usually means something different. I don't have the amp to read the manual. It confused 2 people, so it's obviously confusing.

That's why it's important to read the manual, people keep missing this step and ask questions that are answered in the manual.

And if you knew the amp you would see that there is no conventional hi input, just RCA's.

Maybe we shouldn't answer if we don't know the answer? Assumption is the mother of f*ckups.

It's a pretty good assumption since that's what a high and low input would be on almost every single other amp.

It's also confusing to me how this would work when you're at partial volume, unless the head unit is all the way up you aren't going to get full pre-out voltage.

Let's say you have 5v preout voltage at full volume but only 1v at 1/3 volume, how does the switch make sense then?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Also it appears you said you read the manual but clearly you must have bad reading comprehension skills.

uUuSTnM.jpg

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Good news I think. When I play the sub straight from my phone, there are no issues. So where does this leave me? How do I fix the ground loop issue? I've tried new rca's and I've tried ground at another point. What is left to do?

My gut says you popped the pico fuse in your HU. Any chance you have, or could borrow a known good HU and hook it up to narrow it down to your Pioneer?

So if you put the old amp back in it doesn't make the noise right?

I was looking at your old setup and I noticed how you had the rca inputs on the outer side and the power on the inner. With the jl your rca and power setups would be changed slightly. Have you tried moving the amp away from the other amp and all the wires to see if there's any change? Seems to me if mounting it in the same spot your rca run could potentially move closer to interference it wasn't getting before. I also noticed your crossovers are right there in front of the amps, that's potentially a area to pickup interference too.

No noise with the other amps. I have a RF punch 400.4 on the right side. Both the RF and jl have inputs on the bottom of the amp which has helped keep the power and rca's seperate.

I put my crossovers down there since this was a temporary install and I didn't want to chance them rattling in my doors. Might be a mistake at this point.

Checked my head unit. Pico fuse is good.

Tried new rca's

Tried switching grounds

Jl amp seems to operate fine with signal coming directly from my phone.

There's gotta be something wrong with this freakin amp!

We've covered literally everything possible

You already determined that it's not the amp with your testing, the problem is somewhere else in the install.

Also it appears you said you read the manual but clearly you must have bad reading comprehension skills.

uUuSTnM.jpg

Or i'm a impatient reader, and stopped reading after "between 800mV and 8V".

I didn't know JL had this product:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fjqUI1FtcYY/p_136CLR2SW/JL-Audio-XB-CLRAIC2-SW.html#&gid=1&pid=1

Interesting.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived