Understanding my RF-BLD line driver

So i recently purchased the Rockford fosgate RF-BLD line driver. First things first expanding my knowledge i did some research about the difference between balanced and unbalanced systems being this line driver had this option. In my application i would clearly be doing a unbalanced system being my RCAs just have 1 signal wire and ground wire running around it. So unbalanced it is being i would need a 3 wire (2 signal and 1 ground) to run balanced. So i believe i understand that part of it but any more input or info would be appreciated... So what part i am questioning is setting the gains to match the amps input voltage and what the voltage indicators are telling me.

It shows 2.5V 3.5V 5.0V Clip.

I set my HU with DD-1 and slowly turn up gain on the line driver until 5.0V illuminates ( for unbalanced system) This is telling me i will be putting out 5V signal to each channel being 10V input total (not clipping) Or is this not correct?

Also being i will be running 2 amps either strapped or gain matched would this cut the amps signals input voltage in half?

Just trying to get a clear understanding any info or input is appreciated thanks.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

I would like to add.. It suggests mounting it near the source being the HU... I would of thought being it helps eliminate distortion and puts out a cleaner signal i would want to mount it as close to the amps as possible? Do i want a good clean signal 10+ feet away from amps or right next to them or am i thinking wrong?

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Stupid question to add. Amplifiers would have a Maximum input voltage as well i would assume? I never see anything on spec sheets.

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

0.15-6V is what I got on the Amps input level (gain) So 6V is the amplifiers max input voltage? So if i set my line driver to 5V out I am in the clear and should be able to set my amps gain with my DD-1 to match which leads me to another question. Typically I have used track 3 -5db 40 hz track setting gains but for a louder system it suggest track 7 -15db 40hz. from what I understand the DD-1 matches the amps input voltage to the sources output voltage without clipping or distorting, yes or no? So using track 7 is going to get me closest to where I need to be? All music aside.

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

I guess i Cant put music aside being which track I use is based on my application to which type of music I listen to and what levels it recorded at.idk what decaf records his music at but I researched for decaf not to use anything above or below I should say the -5db test tone. Being -15db track would make my gain higher then where it should be for decaf causing distortion or clipping. I guess I'm answering all my questions or trying to 1 day at a time. Thanks for all the help guys.... lol

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

• 3 weeks later...

So i recently purchased the Rockford fosgate RF-BLD line driver. First things first expanding my knowledge i did some research about the difference between balanced and unbalanced systems being this line driver had this option. In my application i would clearly be doing a unbalanced system being my RCAs just have 1 signal wire and ground wire running around it. So unbalanced it is being i would need a 3 wire (2 signal and 1 ground) to run balanced. So i believe i understand that part of it but any more input or info would be appreciated... So what part i am questioning is setting the gains to match the amps input voltage and what the voltage indicators are telling me.

It shows 2.5V 3.5V 5.0V Clip.

I set my HU with DD-1 and slowly turn up gain on the line driver until 5.0V illuminates ( for unbalanced system) This is telling me i will be putting out 5V signal to each channel being 10V input total (not clipping) Or is this not correct?

Also being i will be running 2 amps either strapped or gain matched would this cut the amps signals input voltage in half?

Just trying to get a clear understanding any info or input is appreciated thanks.

Why do you need a line driver? Your headunit can supply 4V.

No, 5V=5V per channel, just like your headunit will put out 4V per channel.

Running the amps strapped or gain matched won't cut the input voltage in half.

The only reason you would require a line driver is if your headunit puts out less then 0.2-0.5V at full power.(depending on amp)

Or when you need to convert from high output(speakers out on HU) to RCA's (low output)

I would like to add.. It suggests mounting it near the source being the HU... I would of thought being it helps eliminate distortion and puts out a cleaner signal i would want to mount it as close to the amps as possible? Do i want a good clean signal 10+ feet away from amps or right next to them or am i thinking wrong?

No, the point of the line driver is to have a higher voltage going through your RCA's to minimize induced noise, if you put it closer to the amps it will amplify the noise.

0.15-6V is what I got on the Amps input level (gain) So 6V is the amplifiers max input voltage? So if i set my line driver to 5V out I am in the clear and should be able to set my amps gain with my DD-1 to match which leads me to another question. Typically I have used track 3 -5db 40 hz track setting gains but for a louder system it suggest track 7 -15db 40hz. from what I understand the DD-1 matches the amps input voltage to the sources output voltage without clipping or distorting, yes or no? So using track 7 is going to get me closest to where I need to be? All music aside.

Yes, 6V is your max input voltage.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

from the RF website:What is the purpose of the 3Sixty Balanced Line Driver?

1. Line Driver: Boosts source signal to help eliminate noise.
  2. Line Level Converter: Converts speaker level signal to RCA for OEM integration applications.
  3. Turn On Source: Can provide power remote turn on for applications missing turn on source.
  4. Unbalanced to Balanced Converter: Provides either unbalanced or balanced output signal to better integrate with any system.
  5. High to Low Output Impedance Converter: Converts the source unit's high output impedance by providing a super low impedance to your amplifier. This reduces the chance of noise being introduced into the audio path.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived