Second Skin Audio

Quad stack 4" coil

khinds94

Remember how long Brian and I have been in this scene. We are going back to the late 90s. We've seen a lot of things.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.pierce.376/about

Here's some pics. It's great to see things built in America again. I was born in Washington, and Sequim is the kinda place where you can keep the costs down and manufacture things affordably. I'm not 100%, but I vaguely recall that Adire Audio (out of Seattle) used to have their Brahma drivers built out of Vegas. I'd assume by the same shop that became Fi. (Pure speculation on my part, someone probably knows better.) The older Adire gear was made by Eminence.

DiyCable used to build some monster drivers; they were based in the north end of the state, before closing up shop three or four years ago. One of their drivers lives on, now sold by Erich at diy sound group in Ohio.

Basically there's been a long history of audio (quietly) coming out of WA. Audio Control, Rane, and Mackie are out of WA too.

So many people had issues with the WMD subs and those 2 main issues are coil rub fresh out the shipping box or tearing surrounds.

They pretty much told everyone that had coil rub it was their own fault when they where brand new woofers.

The tearing surrounds they claimed was due to over excusrion which I could see being a reason, however a lot of people had this issue. It just wasnt 1 or 2.

The fact of the matter was the material used on the cones was cutting into the surround and tearing.

He also had some other woofer using cheap thin aluminum cones that would fold with very little power as well, again it was the customers fault.

I dont know if anyone remembers the Cascade Omega subs, they where pretty beastly and oem built by PAP.

That was until the owner of Cascade got taken for a ride and PAP stole their motor design. I guess you cant blame all that on PAP though since iirc it was not patented...

Either way not the right thing to do.

You will notice that the WMD2 series woofers look drastically similar to the Omehas..

omega183.jpg

Continuing on, while he is building the stuff in the USA, most of every part he sells or uses is just out of a China catalog called alibiba.com with an exception to some coils.

Its not that China is bad, its just that there is a right way and a wrong way to build woofers and picking parts from a catalog isnt the right way.

Look at Sundown, most their parts are from China (except for the coils on the higher end models), great woofers, but all the parts being from China are of Sundowns own design from their own R&D work, multiple testings, revisions, and so on to make a good product. There is nothing Sundown is picking directly from a catalog and building woofers with.

There is no real R&D work being done and its just slapping off the shelf parts together to make a woofer and an insanely expensive price.

I think their top tier woofers are something like $800, and imo nothing special and something you can source from alibiba yourself for under half the cost.

At that point you can buy a Fi Team 18 and save yourself $100 and have a stronger better built more bad ass woofer that will eat anything PAP builds for breakfast, lunch, and supper.

Im not sure how far back our archive goes back on this site, but if you search CarAudio.com you will most likely find multiple horror stories.

No idea how the PAP stuff is today however it still looks like all the same parts being sold/used on their site.
The past being the past its something I would never even think of buying.

Pretty sure PAP is still local to all us Washington competitors...I've been competing for about 4 years now and can't recall ever seeing a single Pap product being used in the lanes. Take that however you want lol.

Team NorthWestSPL

Archived