Second Skin Audio

Where to put port ?

Ron36

First off I'm no expert but.... 1-4" aero has about 12.57" of port area. you want 10"-16" of port area per cubic foot of box, maybe even more depending on the sub, which i believe sundown likes more. I would recommend a slot port with an area of around 55", as you will get into running several aeros and it becomes a lot less efficient.

Hopefully one of the more veteran box guys will chime in to verify my info.

Port noise can come from any type of port that doesn't have enough area to keep velocity down to an acceptable level. I don't know what velocity port noise becomes audible, maybe someone does. The highest I've seen anyone recommend is 30m/s. I'd say you'd need at least a 6" areo, but that probably wouldn't be enough to put you below 30m/s. And keep in mind that as port area increases, port length increases as well in order to maintain the same tuning.

30 m/s is what i have read as well, that is just over 98 ft/sec. to stay under that he would need 2-6" areos for 81 ft/sec or 1-8" for 90 ft/sec. a slot port with an area of 50" puts him at 90 ft./sec. i think will be hard for his space restrictions as the ports get pretty long eating up his box volume.

U guys are speaking another language here , i can run 1 6 inch port coming out the side thst can be long but its about 5 inches from the door panel

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Summary, you need more space to tune the box where you want it an have an effective ported enclosure. If you are stuck with the specs you have you may need to downgrade the driver size. You will still need room for port, smaller boxes naturally need more port volume to tune lower - or you end with a bunch of port noise and inefficiencies.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

So what am i looking at port wise for 2.4cubes with 2 sa-10's

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

your choices:

32 hz

1x8" aero 49" long

1- 8"x6" slot port at 46.5"

35hz

1- 8" aero @ 40"

1-8"x6" slot @ 38"

Also remember as the port gets bigger the box needs to get bigger to compensate for the port volume.

Thanks for putting this in english for me i really appreciate it , will try to figure somthing or just go sealed witch i dont want to but may not have a choice

I thought about that 2 thats where most of my batteries are but might look into it

Archived