Second Skin Audio

New box design help needed

bmxscion

I'm just playing around with a new sealed box design and I could use a little help.

Info:
12" Sundown SD-3 d4 wired to 2 ohm

Amp: RF 501bd

Current box has an internal volume of 1.05 cu ft. sealed. Max outside dimensions can be 20" deep, no restriction on width and I want to keep the height as shallow as possible. The current box has an outside height of 7.5" and that is probably pretty close to what it will end up but I am shooting for as shallow as possible so the magnet is close to but not quite touching the bottom of the box as possible. This will be an up firing sub also.

I want to build a stacked enclosure with 3/4" birch. I want the final volume to be closer to .85-.90 cu ft. Also I will be doing each "stacked ring" with a 22.5 degree chamfer bit on both sides of every ring so there is a 45 degree "wave" on every internal wall of the box. Also double walls on all six sides and the holes for the sub will have threaded inserts and will be attached with 1/4-20 hardware.

I am trying to figure out how I could get an exact internal volume with the "waves" inside. I am finding I am reaching mechanical limits of the sub sometimes at high volume and would like to find a nice balance with volume and the ability of being able to reproduce the low notes that this sub can reproduce.

I now this sounds like a lot but if anyone could provide some insight or advise that would be sweet. If any other equipment info or anything is needed let me know. Thanks.

I think I understand what you want to do with the chamfer bit and "waves". To calculate the area just take an average between the top of the "wave" and the bottom and that should let you calculate the area.

Also, all that chamfering sounds like a lot of work, I'm sure it will look cool when you are done, but at subwoofer frequencies its not going to make a darn bit of difference in how the box sounds.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Yeah it will be a lot of work with the chamfering and math! I seen someone do this on a box and thought it was pretty cool. I just wanted to challenge myself with something that is very eye catching and something that could have the benefit of breaking up waves inside the box. But I would definitely have to have a window to show all this internal box work, not to mention the prototype SD-3 sub I have has machined spokes on the basket which looks cool too.

Archived