What size fuse for alternator power wire

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just use 150A fuses. This has been made way more complicated than it should have been. Your alt isn't going to short, your big three won't short, NOTHING will short out if you take your time, run the wire safely, not against any heat sources, sheet metal edges, etc.

Your alt won't put out more than its max rating at any time, and you won't even get that, but fuse big three for 150.

Your amp doesn't have any fuse recommendation. Looking at other amps that output similar power, a 150A fuse can be used. Fuse within less than 8 inches of each positive wire coming in/out of your battery(s).

End thread.

That's not how it works

how so.... there is thousands of threads covering this exact thing all over this forum.... would it work this way if someone else posted this comment because it does on all the other threads

No one has ever said to fuse both sides of your alternator charge wire. It's not a battery, it doesn't put out 1400 amps if you short it and make the fuse blow

I've never seen a fuse on a charge wire. Maybe a "main" fuse in the fuse block where everything runs off of. But never near the alt. Not even from factory.

I've never seen a fuse on a charge wire. Maybe a "main" fuse in the fuse block where everything runs off of. But never near the alt. Not even from factory.

AlternatorFusableLink.jpg

Been on every vehicle I've ever had the pleasure of looking under the hood of

Most have a fusible link of one form or another, not necessarily an inline fuse

Archived