Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer Popping Noise

Yucai

I have a Fi Q 15" that I bought off a friend who couldn't deal with the small trunk space anymore. About a month into using it, while bumpin some Zoe, a hole popped in the adhesive holding on the dustcap on. I fixed this with some epoxy and it stays together but it continues to make a popping sound when hitting certain notes. For instance, I can crank Downtown (Decaf) but get the popping noise on Go Girl (Decaf) at almost minimal volume. This happens both in and out of the sealed box.

Here is a video of the sub while popping

It is being powered with 1600 Watts RMS and has no voltage drop issues and the coil doesnt rub when I push down on it. Any help is appreciated... Thanks.

Heya ^^

Got a Q15 also on 1k8 rms :)

How does that sound when you punch a little on the sub ?

Try maybe to hold the duscap with some adhesive tape and see if it still sounds bad or not

Also what happens with more power ?

Last time I had a similar noise was the amplifier broken (an old mtx 1500d)

Heya ^^

Try maybe to hold the duscap with some adhesive tape and see if it still sounds bad or not

When I push on it, it doesn't make any grinding noises. Which leads me to think that the voice coil is still good. Do you think that the epoxy isn't flexible enough and that could be causing the noise?

Heya ^^

When I push on it, it doesn't make any grinding noises. Which leads me to think that the voice coil is still good. Do you think that the epoxy isn't flexible enough and that could be causing the noise?

I don't want you push lol, I want you to punch it, it will make it move harder and your fist will keep the duscap on the cone :)

if the epoxy was flexible, it would simply absorb the moving of the duscap so will not have any noise.

As I edited my first message, what happens with more power ?

I am yet to test it with a bigger amp, as for all my friends run 1k watts or less, but my amp is set on the edge of clipping (set by ear on max volume with 40Hz test) so I haven't upped the voltage any. But it being the amp wouldn't surprise me as for I'm running that new cheap CAB 1600.1D that was reviewed a month or two back. Punching it just makes the hollow sound of the hard dustcap.

Punching it just makes the hollow sound of the hard dustcap.

There you go so I'm sure it's the amp ^^

My MTX had that problem, it was the power transistors close from the imput that were totally disfunctionning, caused a clipping when trying to throw more than 2.5V on the output

Punching it just makes the hollow sound of the hard dustcap.

There you go so I'm sure it's the amp ^^

My MTX had that problem, it was the power transistors close from the imput that were totally disfunctionning, caused a clipping when trying to throw more than 2.5V on the output

Now that I think back on it, I had taken it to the audio shop the first day after install. The amp blew the fuse in the power line while giving demos to friends, and he told me that if it popped the replacement fuse(100A) that there was probably something wrong with the amp. That day I blew two more but never thought back on it...

I have a Fi Q 15" that I bought off a friend who couldn't deal with the small trunk space anymore. About a month into using it, while bumpin some Zoe, a hole popped in the adhesive holding on the dustcap on. I fixed this with some epoxy and it stays together but it continues to make a popping sound when hitting certain notes. For instance, I can crank Downtown (Decaf) but get the popping noise on Go Girl (Decaf) at almost minimal volume. This happens both in and out of the sealed box.

Here is a video of the sub while popping

It is being powered with 1600 Watts RMS and has no voltage drop issues and the coil doesnt rub when I push down on it. Any help is appreciated... Thanks.

Most likely the dust cap is still loose.

If the glue stopped holding and you just put some in 1 area that you thought was loose, chances are high that it is loose in another spot or possibly even the majority of the way around.

So its just vibrating on the cone and making that annoying sound.

Archived