Can a heavy trunk cause tranny problems ?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might not be a bad idea to get a transmission flush and change the filter either, especially if its a high mileage vehicle.

If you do get a flush, I wouldnt go to a lube center that uses the machine that just sucks and fills the fluid from the dipstick hole, those seem to be kinda pointless because they are literately sucking in and out the same fluid. You need to find a place that taps into the actual transmission cooler lines.

However just dropping the transmission pan to change the filter usually means you have to replenish around half the transmission fluid sometimes more depending on the vehicle.

Even without the added weight of a stereo, metal parts wear as they grow older. shavings of metal typically get stuck to a magnet in the transmission pan, but can also plug the filter making the vehicle shift weird.

Thanks for all yalls OG's of the smd forums input.. ( orionstang ahmed johnson strage duck audio fanaticz ) i appreciate it im getting ready to swap equipment and put rhe buick in the shop. Always learning in this bad ass forum. shout out to steve meade.

I would not spend 1800 on a 1997 Buick but I understand that sometimes you got to do what you got to do. How long ago was the transmission rebuilt? Try to see if they warranty it. Start studying up on slipping tranny's and see if that is actually what is happening. Be easier on it, don't mash the gas from a stand still especially with all that weight.

Start looking for a replacement vehicle just in case......you may be buying a whole different car soon.....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

the flush will destroy a transmission. you dont want to flush a transmission you just want to do a service. old transmissions with high miles cant have new fluid or they will just slips till it fails. only way i recommend a flush is if you have kept up with the maintenance

since it was just rebuilt it shouldn't need one anyways.. the weight is going to kill that trans

the flush will destroy a transmission. you dont want to flush a transmission you just want to do a service. old transmissions with high miles cant have new fluid or they will just slips till it fails. only way i recommend a flush is if you have kept up with the maintenance

since it was just rebuilt it shouldn't need one anyways.. the weight is going to kill that trans

If you want to know the truth about transmission flushes, I recommend this video.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o690DovjDAc

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

a flush will not destroy a transmission, it comes down to the condition of the fluid thats already in it.

if your fluid is nasty brown with crap floating in it you wouldnt want to flush it and dropping the pan changing the filter, cleaning the gunk out from around the magnet and replacing the fluid lost (which is about half) could make a world of difference.

My tahoe had transmission issues when I bought it with 70k on it before i even put weight in it.

I was the 2nd owner of it and it didnt have a rough life.
Hell almost every 4l60e transmission from 2000 and earlier has issues around the 60-90k mark no matter what its use is or how babied they are, and its all the same tcc lock up crap.

a flush will not destroy a transmission, it comes down to the condition of the fluid thats already in it.

if your fluid is nasty brown with crap floating in it you wouldnt want to flush it and dropping the pan changing the filter, cleaning the gunk out from around the magnet and replacing the fluid lost (which is about half) could make a world of difference.

My tahoe had transmission issues when I bought it with 70k on it before i even put weight in it.

I was the 2nd owner of it and it didnt have a rough life.

Hell almost every 4l60e transmission from 2000 and earlier has issues around the 60-90k mark no matter what its use is or how babied they are, and its all the same tcc lock up crap.

I agree, the fluid change isn't what does the damage, the damage was already done.

The fluid change can however allow the Trans to start slipping if the fluid had lots of friction material floating in it,

Which is why a good shop won't even do a flush for you if your Trans has fluid like that in it or its a high mileage Trans with no proof of prior flushes being done.

And yeah 4l60e's sick in stock form, I've had two take a shit on me, one made it 150k though by being properly maintained.

Op if you just had your Trans rebuilt not long ago and it's slipping take it back.

Here's a secret, lots of Trans shops only replace what looks bad in a Trans and put it back together and charge you for a full rebuild, I'll bet money this what they did to you.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived