Sundown Audio

we don't know. you'd have to build it and find out for yourself. perfect world, the most cone area in the closest to ideal box out of those two options would "flex the roof better".

OK so that would be the 8" then if I go by cone area 150inches at 1800W rms.

12" sub is like 113inches at 1500W rms.

we don't know. you'd have to build it and find out for yourself. perfect world, the most cone area in the closest to ideal box out of those two options would "flex the roof better".

OK so that would be the 8" then if I go by cone area 150inches at 1800W rms.

12" sub is like 113inches at 1500W rms.

get it done. i'd do the three SA 8's on an SCV-2000 http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/sundown-audio-scv-2000d-2000w-mono-block-amplifier.html rated 2k @ 1ohm on 12v, so you'll have a little headroom. Do the proper amount of port area and size with the tuning you want, if that puts your net volume lower than what those 8's call for, that will help keep the subs from over excursion while you give them more than rated power, and the smaller size of the enclosure will help flatten out the frequency response a tad

• 3 months later...

I've been in the exact situation you have been and would like to shed my 2 cents... In your OP, you stated you are going to be moving away from 2 X 12's. What you don't want to do is go through all the time and money only to be dissatisfied because of less output. IMHO, with your airspace, and for what it appears I see you struggling with, I would do one nasty 12 or (2) nasty 10's. I've heard 8's, and though you can make them bang, they just don't 'appear' to have the same presence as larger cone subs. Yes, I know 8's can work well. They just don't really appeal to me, and I listen to speed metal ;-)

If it were me, I would prolly do the (2) SA-10's ported w/ insane amounts of clean unclipped power. I'm an SQL guy. I'm running (1) Digital Designs DD9512 1.8^ft net ported to 40htz on 2000 RMS clean. I listen to heavy metal mostly. Before that, I briefly ran (2) SA-10's sealed and was NOT impressed (no output), because I have only heard ported subs for the past 12 years. IMO, don't go sealed. I know many people will disagree, maybe even you. However, if you want to retain SPL and SQL, go ported. If you have up to 2.5 net to play with and you don't care what direction the sub/subs are firing, get one really nasty 12 (or) 2 10's with as mush power as you can. If sub direction is very important, it's really hard to do better than (2) SA-10's ported, for the price ;-)

Edited by cvanwey