Second Skin Audio

2002 dodge ram quad cab subs?.. 2 JL TW1, TW3, or Alpine SWR-T12

I have a dodge ram 1500 quad cab.well i just bought a JL JX1000/1d mono amp and hooked them up to my 2 JL 12" WXv2's and blew them within 3 days. my fault, but anyway I never did really like the bass of them anyway, they pretty much sucked imo. they did not hit low deep bass at all. But im pretty sure they weren't made to fit in my little enclosure i had them in. My enclosure is .61 cu ft per sub in dual 12" box.

I bought the JL's cuz i thought i could just buy any speaker and it would sound the way it did in my cars bigger ported boxes. i was wrong. so now i think i need to go with a shallow mount. I like low deep bass. listen to alot of rap and country.

I'm looking at 3 speakers so far, not sure if there any other shallow mount as good as these. but i can get some really good prices on the good brands that have good reviews.

12 JL TW1 300watt= $189

12 JL TW3 400watt- $279

12 Alpine SWR-T12 600watt=$299

I'm subless in my truck and i'm going crazy got to get somethin fast. was thinkin about going to local shop and getting 2 kicker comp d's for $100 total for both of them until i can make up my mind.

Pic of box: 0.61 cu ft per sub

speaker%20box.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people would recommend fitting a regular smaller sub than shallow mount. Not going to get in that argument. I run the 10" version of the TW3 with 5-600 watts on it. Sealed in a .6 cube box and it sounds great. I think the 12" goes for around $350 but sometimes you can find them for $300 on crutchfield. Could also try a local dealer. I would definitely buy the sub again if I needed to in the future.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

why would sundown be any better than JL? how long has sundown been around? JL has been around for over 30 years. I just dont see any other company besides alpine really being as clear and crisp as JL. thats why i choose jl. i've heard other brands and yea they are loud maybe even louder than the similar JL but they sound like crap type of loud. JL to me is crisp and clear and clean.

i seen some people post they would choose sundown over JL any time of week? why is that? is it because JL is more expensive and they can't afford good JL;s? I'm not sure how ppl can say JL is crap. They have a better engineering facility than any other 3rd party speaker brand.

Out of what you listed for options I would choose the TW1. While not as shallow as the TW3 it works in a silly small sealed box and is somehow still able to dig fairly low. The shallow Alpine uses some sort of weird plastic spring thing instead of a proper spider and they are prone to breaking, also the aluminum cone dents really easily.

Out of what you listed for options I would choose the TW1. While not as shallow as the TW3 it works in a silly small sealed box and is somehow still able to dig fairly low. The shallow Alpine uses some sort of weird plastic spring thing instead of a proper spider and they are prone to breaking, also the aluminum cone dents really easily.

The TW1 is actually what I'm leaning towards more. Cept the tw3 hits as low as 22 freq and the TW1 lowest is 24. And it looks like the TW1 is sunk in a little bit with a high rim so when theres xcursion it wont' hit the bottom of the back seats as much. The TW3 looks like the speaker sits up higher out of the box, so i was wondering if i'd be able to lower my seats on top of the box with those. My thought is that when Xcursion is happening with the TW3 it might get beat up a little bit from hitting the seats. BUT on the other hand the tw3 takes 100 watt more power and looks to be a little more beefier. I've read alot of reviews on the Alpines with people blowing them, thats the only thing i'm scared of with the alpines and there not cheap. there arent too many reviews on the tw1's and tw3's but i havent read any of people saying they've blown them.

Whatever sub fits your needs and budget is what you should go with. You're joking yourself if you think you're going to play sub 30 hertz on that power in a sealed box with any authority. No normal music will do much there any ways. I also believe the sundown wants a ported box but don't quote me on that because I haven't looked in a year or so.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

I never said I'd get the same performance from my small enclosure as opposed to a bigger ported box. That's kind of the point here, I have to go shallow mount with my box with only 6 3/4 of mounting space. $300 per sub is my budget. But I want the right sub for my application. I'm leaning more toward the tw1 because it's optimum air space requirement is .65 cu ft. My box is .61 cu ft. The tw3 requires .8 to 1.0 cu ft.

There are lots of subs that will fit with 6.75" of mounting space that aren't shallow.

Shallow mount subs should really be the absolute last resort, and they shouldn't be needed for your application, unless there is some other reason I don't know about.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived