Anyone using M.2 SSDs?

Or PCI-e SSDs for that matter? Just wondering what kind of real-world performance you're getting versus the number of channels. Thinking about using M.2 for my OS drive for my next build. That or just a PCI-e card, whatever it works out to be, but M.2 sure is convenient and space-saving.

I'll do my main OS on the PCI-e storage, working photos/games on an SSD or two (and possible a RAID 1 array), and probably RAID 5 with spinning drives for storage/backup. Plus an external for backup.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Read up on the motherboard before dropping an m.2 in, if I use mine m.2 I loose all my pcie slots except the x16. I have a Samsung 850 EVO 250gb. I don't have anything it can write to or read from that comes close to maxing it out that I can give you numbers on but I can tell you my win7 machine boots up in seconds..I think the last time I counted it was like 19 seconds from power button press to fully loaded and idle. The only thing I write to that has any real speed is my Sandisk extreme usb 3.0 thumb drive and I have seen speeds of 250 Mb/s for about 20 seconds and then it drops to 150 and holds there the rest of all transfers.

i have a samsung 950 pro on an asus x99 deluxe, I can't use sata express ports (sata ports on the sata express connector) since the m.2 uses those lanes. I can tell a difference in loading speed of games but not boot speed over my old 840 pro but in crystal mark i do get 2600 mbps read 1500 mbps write. For $320 for a 512 gb drive it's not a bad price and it does have better performance but I didn't see that drastic of a difference like when I went from hdd to ssd

i have a samsung 950 pro on an asus x99 deluxe, I can't use sata express ports (sata ports on the sata express connector) since the m.2 uses those lanes. I can tell a difference in loading speed of games but not boot speed over my old 840 pro but in crystal mark i do get 2600 mbps read 1500 mbps write. For $320 for a 512 gb drive it's not a bad price and it does have better performance but I didn't see that drastic of a difference like when I went from hdd to ssd

Yeah, at this point I think it all depends on the motherboard. Some have multiple M.2 ports (I'm looking at this: http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=142-SS-E178-KR) and some just cut the number of available channels of that PCI-e slot to 8 or 4 or whatever, but some use the SATA express buses like you mentioned. I think on that MOBO it just uses PCI-e channels, which is good, because I want all the SATA ports I can get.

That's some crazy speed. I don't need that much, but I like to build big every few years, rather than upgrade a little every couple. My desktop right now is about 5-6 years old. Running a Q9550 yayyyyyyyyyy.

Yeah just got a new laptop with an M.2, holy shit. It's fast.

Do you also have a 2.5" SSD or HDD?

The Intel 750 series is the fastest, most dependable SSD out right now, that is the route i'd take if you were wanting the latest and greatest.

Yeah, I don't need that sort of speed or storage for what I'm doing. I mean I want it lol, but it's mostly the price tag I don't need. Dependability, however, is what I'm after. As is everyone I guess.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

I'd suggest the Samsung 850 PRO series second to the Intel 750. They come with a 10 year warranty.

If you want something that isn't going to break the bank but give you a nice upgrade, i'd check into a Samsung EVO like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

Archived