Second Skin Audio

Box retuning?

I've had shops build my boxes for the past 15 years but after my last shop experience I will never pay anyone to do anything that I am perfectally capable of doing myself.

This box has been "okay" after I fixed it but still not what I wanted. Its tuned to aroyund 32+hz and I wanted 25Hz.

By extending the port depth does that drop the tuning?

I'm wanting to keep the same height and width if possible, cut out the port and make another. It's just a port in a box, no 90 degree turns or anything.

Thanks.

1997 Yukon / 2 Sundown SCV 6000D strapped @1 ohm / 3x 300a Ohio Generator Alts

4 Sundown X18s v.2 NS v.3 coils / B pillar wall sealed / 158.2@38Hz 156@25Hz

You can extend the port length internally, which will lower the tuning, but there is a caveat. As you extend the port internally it will reduce your internal volume, lowering internal volume raises tuning so you can quickly find yourself in a "chasing your own tail" situation, depending on the size of the port, how low you want to tune, and how much internal volume you are starting out with.

If you can just temporarily add some length to the port, its certainly worth experimenting with.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ok great thanks!

So the port is 38'W 5'H and 20' deep. Would you reccomend extending the port 5 inches or more?

49'W, 19'H, 34'D are the box measurements. I was told the box volume not including the port was 15 cubes. That's probably wrong too.

Minus the port area: 38'W, 20'D, 5'H

Thanks again for the help.

Assuming there's a double layer baffle and 0.75" wood was used your box is 12.4 net @ 35Hz, 190 square inches of port area, ratio 7.6, recommended is 14 net @ 32Hz 224 square inches of port area, ratio <6.

There's obvious lack of space and compromises had to be made to have the box fit and stay around the window line. It's actually 15.2 cubic feet gross (before all displacements) but that doesn't matter, net volume is what counts at the end of the day,

For a test you could reverse mount the subs and increase the port length 7" that would leave you at 12 net @32.5Hz, very slight change but it could help you decide if it's a step in the right direction.

Archived