I have been thinking about painting my chrome wheels but i don't know if it is alright to just paint over the chrome or should I sandblast the chrome off then paint or do it some other way. What do you guys think I should do?

If you have access to a sandblaster then you for sure should do that,

If not give it a good sand with a da using 180 grit till the whole surface looks dull, clean it really well, remove any dust, hit it with a acid etch prrimer, then a urethane primer, then paint, then clear.

Obviously sanding in between steps,

Just make sure you don't sand through the acid etch primer.

Even if you do the sandblasting you still need to use an acid etch primer.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Just get then blasted and powder coated. We use a local shop that runs about $80 per wheel unless they are larger then 20". With the labor involved in prepping the chrome, there is no way my shop could prep+paint a set of wheels for even half that price.

I have 24" U2 wheels or "rims" if you will. They aren't bad at all but have started pitting slightly and I just would like to get rid of the chrome. If I'm not waxing/polishing them daily they just don't look too great. It is my daily driver & only vehicle lol. Just an idea I have been thinking about for a while.

Pitting is a problem,

If it's bad enough you'll have to have them sandblasted and have the surface repaired to get rid of the pitting.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Not real bad pitting but the start of it for sure. THe back side of the rim I can literally take my finger nail and peel off pieces of chrome. These wheels have been riding on the road since around 2010, if not earlier.

Archived