Second Skin Audio

Three NVX VCW12's Box Build

Awesome work! I like how you cut things with the router. I can't believe the price is so low and with a terminal cup and wires too? You need to charge more!

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I will add that all the other points you made I do agree with. Also whoever paid the $200+ price for the first enclosure got hosed. I know that you do very good work and I would 100% trust you with building an enclosure for me. I prefer to build my own and never go to the lengths that you do because I constantly change my enclosure and do not want to put in the time and materials when it will change not long after. Excellent build though!

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Holy hell YOUR box is nice, definite professional

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

While I love your work Brian I do not agree with the statement that you made about the aeroports needing to be the port diameter's length away from any side of the enclosure. I only build aeroported enclosures and have exclusively used these boxes for pure spl purposes. The rule of thumb that I personally follow is to keep the wall that is perpendicular to the port opening at least the port diameter's length away. I have never found by mounting close to a side or bottom wall of the enclosure to effect the output of one of my enclosures.

While it is suggested to mount the port this way I have not seen SPL output effected by it from testing either. Many SPL competitors follow the diameter from the perpendicular wall method with great success and a lot of times, especially when using 6" or larger ports it is impossible to mount the port as you suggested especially from the top or bottom of the enclosure.

I will just note that if you have ever seen Terry Brocks enclosure that he used in his CRX the port was only 1 or 2 inches from the top and bottom of the enclosure and was larger than 8" in diameter while doing over 160dB. This did not effect the SPL in his case. As far as sound quality is concerned, I have never heard a difference from this mounting of the port.

This is not what I say, but what Precision Port says, its in their instructions with the ports.

Id think they know how to use their own ports, but maybe not?

I am not saying they will not work if not properly placed, they just wont work at their peak performance according to their site.

http://www.psp-inc.com/4_Instructions.html

The "Precision Port™" can add an average of 3db in output if used correctly.

2. Determine proper speaker & port placement before cutting any holes. The Precision Port™ should be placed at least one port diameter away from any inside walls, if possible.

Question. With aeros ice heard it can be half the distance away from a wall as the sole of the port because of the port ratio. Such as 4" port can be 2" away

This is not true?

I depends on if you are trying to avoid any interaction between the port and the box or just trying to avoid negatively effecting port performance.

If all you are concerned about is avoiding negatively affecting port performance, the port only needs to be 1/4 of a diameter away from the back wall to have the same amount of area for air to escape as the port has. So that's the bare minimum, though its going to require the air to make a pretty sharp 90 degree bend, so it still could cause some air resistance. Probably figure at least 1/3 diameter to be safe. Having it that close WILL affect tuning though.

If you want to make sure there is no interaction between the port and the box (which would cause the tuning to be lower than intended) that's where the guideline for keeping the port one diameter away from walls comes from. Keeping the port at least 1 diameter away is definitely the ideal situation, but we all know that's not how things work out all the time.

There have been efforts to take advantage of having the port end near an internal wall, the Polk power port is an example:

EsXYgXJ.png

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived