Sundown Audio

Need help hooking up a sub and amp!

AsteriX

Hey guys, sorry about the crap quality on this post, its my first. Anyways, me and a friend are trying to hook up one of those old stereos to a Logitech subwoofer and its inbuilt amp and it hasn't been easy, all we did first was hook up the signal cable I think its called from the stereo head unit to the subwoofer directly(No amp), and well it sound weak as shit. The reason we are doing this is because the tiny original subwoofer from the stereo blew and we dont want to sitt her without any bass at all.

So basically what we want to do is to hook the signal cable to the subwoofers amp and make it play the bass through the Logitech subwoofer.

subampstuff.jpg

The problem is that the amp doesn't have a normal signal in like amps usually do, it was connected to a small PCB with an aux on it with a Ribbon cable and the amp doesn't have an enclosure itself or any special kind of easy connects on it. The ribbon cable had thick wires and only 10 connectors so its possible to solder the signal wires in. Problem is that we dont know how or if its possible.

More info: the amp is wall powered.

Thanks for any help! If you need pictures of the amp and the inside and all just ask!

So the stereo has a dedicated sub woofer output correct? and the sub woofer you want to use has an aux cable input like a headphone jack but for the input? I'm thinking you could use an LOC and an rca to 1/8 stereo (or mono, depends on the jack) plug and boom, sub is up and running. Some model #'s and good pics of the connections would really help.

Re @Wehan: Well the radio has a dedicated sub output as seen on the picture and the amp has a stereo input and output that is supposed to go through the ribbon cable I disconnected from the PCB that had the jack on it. I can add a pic of the PCB to help you understand, but I wont be able to get a pick of the AMP until tomorrow. The amp only has a connector for the ribbon cable btw.

kultut123.jpg

the first pic shows a high level out out going into a low level input in which case you just need a hi-low converter

that last pic shows a board with a low level rca jack. you wouldn't need a hi-low converter if you already have a dedicated sub out

Archived