Sundown Audio

Amp: Sundown SCV4000D

Subs: RE Audio XXX 15s (dual 4ohm) wired parallel to run 1ohm

Alternator: Mechman 370 amp

Batteries: (2) XS Power D3100s as backup and a XS Power D3400 under the hood

Wiring: All Sky High dual 0 gauge wiring throughout with Sky High fuses front and rear

Ok so a few months ago I was playing the system and a louder than normal song from the radio came on and out of no where I heard a popping noise. I immediately shut the radio off to kill power to the amp. I figured the amp went to protect but after further investigation power came on with no protect. I pulled the subs and they had a lot of play in them (blown voice coils). And after testing them with a multimeter I confirmed they were blown. Instead of fixing them I decided to get a pair of Fi SP4 15s dual 1 ohm. I just got them on Saturday and put them in yesterday. Problem is there's no movement from them. The amp still has power and the remote wire is working since my highs work and they're tied off the same remote wire. The RCAs are not long enough to move from the highs amp to the sub amp or I'd test them also. Now I'm thinking I possibly have something wrong with my amp too? I've tried a few other smaller subs I have and still no power to them. What should I check for next? All fuses are ok, no burnt smell from the amp, subs are brand new from Fi. Could my RCAs have gone bad somehow? What else could it be? I'm going crazy with this. I guess the next step might be to pull the amp, but I'd rather wait till the very end for that cuz it's in a shitty spot.

Get out a 3.5mm to RCA cable and plug your phone directly into the sub amp. Turn on your HU so that the amp powers up. Do the subs make noise? If so the amp is cool and the problem is somewhere else. If not then your amp is the problem.

Also, your story doesn't make sense. Radio stations don't randomly play songs that are way louder than the normal playlist. That's not how radio transmissions work.

So after messing with it a few tonight I was able to figure it out. I somehow blew the outside speaker terminals on the amp. I swapped them to the inside terminals and now the subs work. Is blowing speaker terminals on an amp something that happens often? How does it happen? What can I do to make sure it doesn't happen again? I'm not to worried about fixing it right now but is this something that's an easy fix?

As for the radio station. It was a song that just had way more bass then most songs on the radio. I think I get cleaner and louder sound sometimes from the radio and other time it falls flat depending on the song. That one song did something to blow those terminals though!