Second Skin Audio

Best sub/port direction for trunk setup hairtrick.

bman8891

Im building a box for my neighbor. He has 2 dd 2512's with psi recones and a hifonics 3200 with a couple extra batteries. He desperately wants to do a hairtrick out of the trunk of his civic coupe. I told him it's going to be very difficult but he's determined. Ive built tons of boxes I dont need help with the specs but I would love input on what y'all think would be the best setup. Normally I would do subs up port back but I've seen some guys with subs and port forward, sealed off doing very well. My plan was as big a port as possible with keeping it tuned down to like 32, but I dont want a huge box because the subs will be overpowered. Any suggestions or examples would be great. Thanks.

TeamDeadlyHertz-bman8891.png

I have forward facing subs, forward facing port kerfed, and i'm in the process of flipping the box to have port on driver side, and sealing her off real good...I'm hoping to raise a whole dB by doing this!

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

I will just say, unless you are prepared to rip out all the rear plastic and the seats and sound deaden and seal off every single little hole and still find a way to get all the wire in the trunk, just fir back or put the box all the way back in the trunk and fire forward.

Just my .02

hair trickin out a trunk aint easy u may wanna look into a 4th or 6th order and have port fire into cabin and seal everything else off. 4th and 6th order can be a disaster thoguh if your not ready to tear down and rebuild a cpl times thoguh too

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

Sounds like mixed results here. Lets rephrase the question; hairtrick aside, this is a daily setup, not as interested in metering. We could face everything forward and seal it like 80% but I doubt he wants to tear it apart to seal it completely. Which direction will feel louder?

TeamDeadlyHertz-bman8891.png

I still have to say, if its multiple subs and filling most of the trunk opening its always best to fire forward. There will be frequency range differences if you were to experiment with firing rear with the same box but could loose alot of output.

My 2 10s ported firing rear hit the highs great and got loud with alot of flexing but the lows tapered off quickly

as soon as i faced them forward and sealed off it had better range of playing and also got more musical if that make any sense.

It wont hurt to try it both ways tho, theres only way to find out :good:

I would start with box at back of trunk facing the rear see how he likes it; If not loud enough seal it off. It would suck to put a lot of work into sealing it off 80% then have some cancellation issues and you did not look at the simplest solution first.

Archived