Sundown Audio

Lets say the svc6k does 6k @one ohm.now what if I run the amp at .5 but turn the gain down so it still puts out the 6000.is this still safe or like one ohm stability for the amp.in my mind as long as the amp dont exceed the rms rating at 1 ohm wouldn't it be the same as .5 ohm with the gain down pushing the 6k

Lets say the svc6k does 6k @one ohm.now what if I run the amp at .5 but turn the gain down so it still puts out the 6000.is this still safe or like one ohm stability for the amp.in my mind as long as the amp dont exceed the rms rating at 1 ohm wouldn't it be the same as .5 ohm with the gain down pushing the 6k

No, it is not the same thing. You would actually need more amperage to create the 6k @ .5 than it would to do it at 1 ohm due to efficiency loss at .5.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Sounds like, you have a amplifier, and .5 is your only option, and you're not sure if it's safe to run in your vehicle. If this is true, my suggestion would be to run at .5, and leave the gain down on the amp.

The gain on the amp, is only to match the level of the signal coming from your radio, so it's not necessarily a volume knob, it's more of having a clean signal from the radio, and for the amp, to receive that same clean signal, without any outsource input between these two points.

I hope this answers your question, and if it doesn't, than let us know!

What I would suggest, is to run it at .4. Turn the radio to full max listening volume, I typically advise 10 to 15 percent below the max number on the radio. Now, go back to the amp at .5, and turn it up until either, your voltage can't hold the load, or the sub is taking too much power. This would invole you having to listen to the sub, and gracefully determine what is the safe zone, depending on your listening style and music type.

Also, please bare mind that, the enclosure will have more input on how the sub takes the power, more than whatever ohm load you decide to run.

So if you have a 15 that is rated at 3k, and you want to put 6k on it. Than a box at 2 cubes prob would handle the power better than if it's a 6 cube box. BUT, just because it takes the power, doesn't mean it's doing it efficiently. Essentially you're suffocated the speaker so that the suspension is tighter, therefore allowing more power to be applied.

In a large box, the enclosure doesn't support the suspension as much, therefore, it could get just as loud with much less power. BUT, if you add too much power in a too large box, then you will have speaker failure.

So it's a lot to know, and there is no right answer to your question.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

Add me on SC, FB, IG, and YT @ Sencheezy

No, it is not the same thing. You would actually need more amperage to create the 6k @ .5 than it would to do it at 1 ohm due to efficiency loss at .5.

Gain is not a volume knob.

The answer is no, running at .5ohm but turned down is not the same as running it at 1 ohm.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I'm going to test my orion 2500d.i no its a different amp but this is my point.im going to put 3 dual 3.68 ohm 15s in parallel to get .614 ohm then turn my radio to the highs volume that's clean and instead of turning the amp gain to highs point of clean power in going the lower it so the amp still puts out the 2500 rms maybe even little lower like 2k .turn the radio to max clean power and see if the amp gets warm.if stays cool I'm going to do the same with 2 6ks on 6 15s.3 on each amp.im worried about stressing my amp that's all

I'm going to test my orion 2500d.i no its a different amp but this is my point.im going to put 3 dual 3.68 ohm 15s in parallel to get .614 ohm then turn my radio to the highs volume that's clean and instead of turning the amp gain to highs point of clean power in going the lower it so the amp still puts out the 2500 rms maybe even little lower like 2k .turn the radio to max clean power and see if the amp gets warm.if stays cool I'm going to do the same with 2 6ks on 6 15s.3 on each amp.im worried about stressing my amp that's all

did you not read anything I put?

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

You ask for help, and then still do it the way YOU want to. Waste of energy bro...

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

No, we all know what you're trying to say, we are telling you your logic is wrong but you just don't want to hear it.

A gain knob is not a volume knob or a magic watt-o-meter.

As a matter of fact an amp can make its full power with the gain all the way down of the input voltage is high enough.

The gain is to match the input voltage, plain and simple,

What are you going to do if your max clean setting is almost nothing on that gain?

Also once again, wiring at .5 ohm and turning down is still not the same for the amp as wiring at 1 ohm,

A 1ohm stable amp doesn't suddenly become a .5ohm stable amp because you turned it down.

But I'm guessing you won't listen and will just keep thinking you're are right because you weren't here to get told your logic is wrong, you just want somebody to cosign on your ignorance.

All that being said, if your electrical can support that amp at .5ohm that amp will handle it just fine.

It will take more current to make the same power at .5ohm than it will at 1 ohm because the amp will be much more inefficient so your electrical better be up for the task.

You can't magically get around the laws of physics.

Edited by Broke_Audio_Addict
  • Like (+1 Rep) 4

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.