Think my new alt is not up to par. Or am i just expecting to much form what i have.

Put a batt in the clamp meter and test the output of the alt,

You have the tool to find out if it's putting out what it shoud, use it.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are the ribs on the new alt even the same width as the old?

Yes. And belt fits well, aside from not being as wide

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Big 3 sky high and stinger hpm ofc 1/0

Super start platinum AGM (starting)

2 runs of 1/0 Execution audio front to back

Kenwood double DIN DDx271

A pillars- orion 4" super tweeter and 2-1" alpines.

Orion xtx 64 in the front doors

2:1 4th order bandpass

Sealed off trunk

Digital designs deadener on roof/ rear deck

Orion hcca 12s (black coils)

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

All sky high 1/0 in trunk dual runs(power/ground)

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

All sky high 1\0 fuse and holders

Db link remote/ rca

The ridges of the pulley are all the same from one vehicle to another, its fairly standardized.
Belts are not made to be used on specific vehicles, they are made to specific lengths.

The wider pulley on the new alt vs the old alt is also no issue. It is like that because that pulley is used on multiple style alternators. Having no belt on the additional pulley will change nothing, if its not slipping its not slipping.

Now if your car is using a V-groove style belt and your alternator has the standard serpentine ribs you may have an issue, but thats not the case here.

3k engine rpms are getting rather high by a lot, over revving of an alternator can reduce output drastically and cause premature failure after extended abuse.

Typically 2k engine rpms is what aftermarket alts are built around for full output

Your alternator is being gimped by your CCA wire that is meant to carry 200ish amps safely, even though at 200 amps your wire is getting warmer which is increasing the resistance resulting in less current flow from front to back

Just roughly under load your seeing about a 15.86% drop in voltage, and this is being figured with a 400amp load which is what Synergy recommends for fusing 2 amps strapped at 2ohms.

But your wired at 1 ohm strapped (.5 per amp) so Im guessing max current draw from your amps full tilt is around 500-550 amps for the pair.

So now doing the math for the amount of current I suspect your amps are pulling full titl which I think is in the 500 amp range for the pair.

Starting voltage 14.8, load of 500 amps comes out to be about 12.48volts (2.32volts dropped) which is 15.86% from starting voltage.... Fairly close to what you said with your voltage

You are really stressing that 1 run of CCA wire....

Now if you added 3 more additional 1/0 CCA wires from the alternator to the rear batteries things would improve a bit.

So these numbers are for 4 total runs of positive CCA wire.

Starting voltage 14.8, load of 500 amps comes out to be about 14.22volts (0.58volts dropped) which is 3.92% from starting voltage.

Ideally id suggest 2 runs of OFC from alternator to the back batteries for power, and possibly a ground from alt case to back batteries as well.

Even if you where to clamp the alternators output it as your wiring is right now you wouldn't have anything near legit results due to the 1 run of CCA wire you are using and how poorly it is performing as I just showed you above. Now my numbers are not dead on accurate since there are unknowns to me like the current draw, but I think Im pretty damn close on that.

You can send me a thank you payment via paypal for the assistance. :drinks:

maybe i'm blind, but where did you buy the alt from?

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Gm ecotec alts have always been an issue due to the alt being computer controlled. you say the set point on the regulator is 14.8 but do you ever see that? if so is it cold only?

What does the voltage do with the a/c on or off voltage wise? Voltage on most ECM controlled alts will ramp up once the a/c is kicked on.

Other thing here to think about isnt so much the voltage as long as it is decent and holds there but the given amperage output of the alt when loaded down. if the amperage output sucks then you have a reason to be concerned.

And as audiofanaticz stated, get rid of that bottle necked ass cca wire.

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

Opps I totally forgot about the batteries.

The lead acid is probably not helping nothing much and is realistically a drain on the agms when the vehicle is off.

Even when its running it may be a drain since they have different cell structure, different resting voltages, etc.

The Batcap you appear to have bought used so who knows how great of condition it is in, how it was taken care of, its age, and if sulfation has occurred on the plates.

Not to mention this is a tiny battery is only 50ah so its good for about 1500ish watts continuously, dont read much into the peak big advertised max amp numbers unless your going burrrrrrrrrrp for a few seconds to get a score.
Also another thing worth mentioning is that battery can only be charged at 15amps max, so its most likely being overcharged when your not hammering on the system which can shorten its lifespan and cause harm to the battery such as heat.

The XS looks like its in rough condition.
Not sure if you bought it new, how old it is, or what.
Yet you can apply most of above to it.

So imo your just boarder line for having enough battery power for those 2 amps, I think another d3100 would be another good investment.

Also any other electric items being turned on in the vehicle are not being included in either of my posts such as headlights/running lights, heater/ac, any other 2/4channel amps being used, and essentially anything else that is an additional drain on the electrical system that I have not included.

The ridges of the pulley are all the same from one vehicle to another, its fairly standardized.

Belts are not made to be used on specific vehicles, they are made to specific lengths.

The wider pulley on the new alt vs the old alt is also no issue. It is like that because that pulley is used on multiple style alternators. Having no belt on the additional pulley will change nothing, if its not slipping its not slipping.

Now if your car is using a V-groove style belt and your alternator has the standard serpentine ribs you may have an issue, but thats not the case here.

3k engine rpms are getting rather high by a lot, over revving of an alternator can reduce output drastically and cause premature failure after extended abuse.

Typically 2k engine rpms is what aftermarket alts are built around for full output

Your alternator is being gimped by your CCA wire that is meant to carry 200ish amps safely, even though at 200 amps your wire is getting warmer which is increasing the resistance resulting in less current flow from front to back

Just roughly under load your seeing about a 15.86% drop in voltage, and this is being figured with a 400amp load which is what Synergy recommends for fusing 2 amps strapped at 2ohms.

But your wired at 1 ohm strapped (.5 per amp) so Im guessing max current draw from your amps full tilt is around 500-550 amps for the pair.

So now doing the math for the amount of current I suspect your amps are pulling full titl which I think is in the 500 amp range for the pair.

Starting voltage 14.8, load of 500 amps comes out to be about 12.48volts (2.32volts dropped) which is 15.86% from starting voltage.... Fairly close to what you said with your voltage

You are really stressing that 1 run of CCA wire....

Now if you added 3 more additional 1/0 CCA wires from the alternator to the rear batteries things would improve a bit.

So these numbers are for 4 total runs of positive CCA wire.

Starting voltage 14.8, load of 500 amps comes out to be about 14.22volts (0.58volts dropped) which is 3.92% from starting voltage.

Ideally id suggest 2 runs of OFC from alternator to the back batteries for power, and possibly a ground from alt case to back batteries as well.

Even if you where to clamp the alternators output it as your wiring is right now you wouldn't have anything near legit results due to the 1 run of CCA wire you are using and how poorly it is performing as I just showed you above. Now my numbers are not dead on accurate since there are unknowns to me like the current draw, but I think Im pretty damn close on that.

You can send me a thank you payment via paypal for the assistance. :drinks:

Thank you sir, this was what I was looking for. Plan was to upgrade to a few runs front to back As cash came in for the up grade. The batterys are all not that old.the d3100 is 1 1/2 years old the, batcap is a few months old, and the super start extreme agm, is also like a year old, all of them rest 12.9v. I was thinking about putting a bank of caps in. As I need to keep batterys in the spare tire well but as you can see I don't have much space. I had 2 of the d3100 but could not fit both in that spot with that super start agm also. So I went for the batcap 2000.

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Big 3 sky high and stinger hpm ofc 1/0

Super start platinum AGM (starting)

2 runs of 1/0 Execution audio front to back

Kenwood double DIN DDx271

A pillars- orion 4" super tweeter and 2-1" alpines.

Orion xtx 64 in the front doors

2:1 4th order bandpass

Sealed off trunk

Digital designs deadener on roof/ rear deck

Orion hcca 12s (black coils)

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

All sky high 1/0 in trunk dual runs(power/ground)

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

All sky high 1\0 fuse and holders

Db link remote/ rca

Archived