Second Skin Audio

So, I built my box for 6-15" Kicker L7.... HELP

So remember in your other thread where I gave you a couple sketchup models? I assume that this box is closer to the first one I posted at 49" wide. You need a lot longer port if you want to reach the tuning you're after. Torres might say it's at 34hz but i think what's happening is you're cabin resonance is raising that by a lot. Unfortunately you can never account for cabin gain and resonance until the box is actually in and playing. I can tell just by looking at your picture tho that the port is waaay to short. You need to shrink your port to about 12 inches wide and then tune it to around 28hz, that should get it sounding good on the lows while still keeping a good amount of internal volume.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

those kickers are only good to 750 watts in a ported box. 3 subs wired in series/parallel ends up to be 2.67 ohm so you're lucky if your subs are seeing 300 watts each at that ohm load

get to 7k amps if youre going to wire at that load or wire all six subs to 1.3 ohms and strap the amps if they have that option

No, I have three amps now, running a set of woofers to each at 1ohm at amp. RMS per amp is 2000 @ 1ohm and 2 extra batteries.

So remember in your other thread where I gave you a couple sketchup models? I assume that this box is closer to the first one I posted at 49" wide. You need a lot longer port if you want to reach the tuning you're after. Torres might say it's at 34hz but i think what's happening is you're cabin resonance is raising that by a lot. Unfortunately you can never account for cabin gain and resonance until the box is actually in and playing. I can tell just by looking at your picture tho that the port is waaay to short. You need to shrink your port to about 12 inches wide and then tune it to around 28hz, that should get it sounding good on the lows while still keeping a good amount of internal volume.

I found the issue! It's not the box nor the power going to the speakers, it's the freaking RCA sub-out signal!!! Yes, you were correct in the width of the box kind sir, it was 49". The measurements I used were 23"H x 49"W x 58"D Port is 21.5"H x 15"W x 10.5"D (2Walls) tuned to about 30Hz per Torres Calculator.

When I use the RCA Y-Splitter, it cuts the signal drastically it kinda sounds like when you have cables crossed. I double checked my wiring and everything is legit. I tried running just one amp with the sub-out main RCA to 1 amp and its loud. But as soon as I try use the Y-Splitter it drops. Any idea? My head unit is a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT

Yup, 2v outputs.

So after searching the web, I see I need a Linear Driver... AudioControl Matrix seems to be a good one, but will that work just for my subs? Or will I simply hookup connect my highs and Y-Split the sub out to the three amps? Sorry, I have seriously been out the system game for a looooong time.

because its dividing the signal.. if the deck has 2v signal then youre splitting that between 3 amps.. do the amps have an output?

Rca voltage doesn't divide when you use a y splitter, if you have 2v coming to the split you'll have two ends with 2v coming out.

You need to use a lot of splitters before you'd notice any appreciable voltage drop.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

because its dividing the signal.. if the deck has 2v signal then youre splitting that between 3 amps.. do the amps have an output?

Rca voltage doesn't divide when you use a y splitter, if you have 2v coming to the split you'll have two ends with 2v coming out.

You need to use a lot of splitters before you'd notice any appreciable voltage drop.

I used to have the sub-out split to 2 mono amps, no problem. All I did was add another amp same brand and model, added another splitter and it craps out. I can't even run 2 amps anymore.

Old setup

Main Line to Dual MONO Amps

Right ® Left (L)

R to Female/Male Y-Splitter to female/female adapters to RCA's going to Right Input on Amp1 & Amp2

L to Female/Male Y-Splitter to female/female adapters to RCA's going to Left Input on Amp1 & Amp2

WORKED FINE

Now, I added 2 woofers, another same brand/model amp, added a new battery.

Replaced Female/Male Y-Splitters with Male/Females.

Now:

R to female/female adapter to Male/Female Y-Splitter 1 end of splitter to R on Amp1 the other to another male/female Y-Spitter then 1 end of splitter to R on Amp2 and R on amp3

L to female/female adapter to male/female Y-Splitter 1 end of splitter to L on amp1 the other to another male/female Y-Splitter then 1 end of splitter to L on amp2 and L on amp3

The signal sounded completely wrong as if I had something crossed. I checked all my wiring and it was correct. After looking into it deeply, I found that the signal dropped the moment I connected an additional amp. It only sounds good when it's not split.

I reverted back to the old setup and now that didn't even work. It only works with 1 mono amp, my sub-out outputs on the HU are good. I even tried the regular front/rear HU outputs and that even drops when I connected to mono amp. Works fine with my amps for highs on Y-Splitter.

I'm puzzled because I checked, rechecked, and rechecked everything and it's all wired right. I just don't see why it wouldn't work back on two sub amps.

Ugh ??

Something could possibly be wrong with the splitters you used.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived