Mids and Highs biggest bang for buck

Sjrow

I drive a 2006 Toyota Corolla ce and currently have alpine type r 6x9s and 6 1/2s as my door speakers connected to the head unit. I am wanting to upgrade but I was wanting to know if focal was worth the price or if there was another brand that could produce the same quality for cheaper or if there is an even better speaker to run my mids and highs. I really love my type r's even though I know they aren't getting proper power but wanted some advice and personal opinions on other brands etc

Also I would like to know what a good four channel amp would be to get to power my door speakers

Thank you

There are a ton of choices out there in the 6.5" component market, Focal, Hertz, Morel, Hybrid Audio, Rainbow, CDT, and many others, the best thing you can do is to demo as many of the brands as you can get to make an informed decision.

The best bang for your buck are still the JBL P660c's that can be had on ebay for fairly cheap, they have been discontinued but there are still some out there, they get very loud and take power like a much more expensive set and the sound is good for the price point, they are not a $500 set of comps so don't expect them to be that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-P660C-2YR-WRNTY-540W-6-5-2-WAY-FULL-RANGE-CAR-AUDIO-STEREO-SPEAKERS-SET-/391413506132?hash=item5b22102054:g:xjkAAOSw0kNXhT9e

Amp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Power-P900-4-900-Watts-4-Channel-Class-D-Full-Range-Car-Amplifier-PPi-/181563403887?hash=item2a4605ae6f:g:0NQAAOSwhh5Tog6X

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

So you're running your speakers off head unit power right now?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You looking for Sound Quality speaker or Pro Audio speakers? Big difference.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Focal is totally worth the price.

BUT you would better run an amplifier on your current speakers, and be sure they are properly installed (solid baffle, deadening,...)

After that you'll know if you really want to change speakers.

A good set of Focal will sound really good only if the speakers are seriously installed.

Your head unit can't make a lot of power : maybe 4 x 18 watts rms, an amp can easilly (and for cheap) make 4 x 100 w rms.

Good 4 ch amp ? there are dozens on the market ! just take a look on the popular brands : Rockford, Sundown, Precision Power, DC audio, Incriminator, Ampere, and so on !

I can see you're running several kind of speakers, forget the rear ones, and focus on the front door : you'll love it !

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

CT sounds has the 125.2 on close out for $99.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I second on first sound deading your door and make a solid speaker baffle and buy a decent amp and see how they sound before buying new speakers

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

What type of sound our you going for and what's your budget? What is your current system? Our you going to run speakers passive or active?

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

I am currently running all alpine door speakers that were given to me from my dad and shortly after the front right 6.5 speaker went out and I've noticed cracking etc but I know not having an amp has a lot to do with it. I'm running all alpine type r 6x9 and 6.5 in the front

I am willing to spend $500-$600 Maybe $700 on a system but I want high quality speakers and will eventually do the sound deadening.

What do y'all mean by passive or active?

If u blew a speaker off a headunit power, ur headunit settings must be messed up. Ur speakers might have been sent frequencies that they are not ment to play, which could easily blow a speaker with tiny amounts of power. Even if played for a second at the wrong frequencies you could possibly blow a speaker. So for ur situation and knowledge id suggest a "component set" thats in ur price range and one that looks good to u. If u like alpine, im sure they make nice component sets. Pretty much anything is better than a blown speaker lol. A component set will come with something called a "crossover" it protects ur speakers by giving each speaker its correct frequencies that they can play.

A component set can include 2 speakers and a 2way crossover,which is a 2-way component set. You could even buy a 3-way component set that has 3 speakers and a 3way crossover. The 2-way set has a single speaker for your midbass/midrange and a tweeter for highs. The 3-way will have a single speaker dedicated to midbass, another speaker dedicated to just midrange, and a tweeter for highs. The crossover will handle all the technical settings on it own. All u need to do is give the crossover the most power u can, without exceeding its recommended watts. So try not to pay attention to "PEAK WATTS" just go by the "RMS WATTS". Another thing to pay attention to if ur buying an amp is the OHMs. Whatever speakers u get, find its "ohm" rating, then pick an amp that matches the same ohm of the speaker set and matches the RMS of the speaker set. You'll be bumpin ur tunes in no time. I hope i helped u a lil. Goodluck

Archived