Sundown Audio

Amp overheats & goes into protect even when turned down

chuey_316

No luck on being able to hook it up in a different vehicle yet. I remembered that the day I ran the ground, and the problem stopped I also added one under the hood. The one from the alt case to frame. It's just some 8ga with ring terminals crimped on using my vice because it's all I had at the time. Intended on getting new cable, but since it has been working fine I forgot all about it.

Decided to go out a bit ago and check the resistance with my dmm. Battery neg to the cleans spot on frame was good at .1ohm. How ever when i tested the ground between the frame/alt, I got a higher reading around .5 ohm. Have an upper respiratory infection, and it's cold out right now, so I won't be able to check voltage drop until tomorrow.

Going tomorrow and buying some 2 or 4ga battery cables to replace both grounds, and then run the battery positive to the alt, since I didn't get a chance to do that. If It has to be fixed, I'll have it fixed, but I can't see paying to ship it out without checking everything else 1st, since the same issue with it before was fixed by changing the grounding spot.

Thanks again for the responses. I'll keep updating with any changes, or questions. If nothing else, it could serve to help someone in the future.

1999 Blazer

AD-244 Alt (soon to be 2)

HU / Pioneer P7800MP

Sub / RE 18HC

Amp / Shopping for a new one

7.71 cubes 118 sq" port area tuned to 34.9hz

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived