SMD Sunflash quantity for door panels?

Evilthx

Hey everyone!! I am getting ready to do my door panels and I need to get a rough idea of how many quarts of Sunflash to order. For the experienced, approximately how many quarts should do a single door panel? I am doing these on my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, below the armrest and from the back of the map pocket to the front of the dash line covering the factory speaker grills. I am just putting one component set in each door to cut my teeth. If I can work the materials well enough I may build a second set of door panels holding two sets of components on each door. Thanks everyone!!

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998

JBL GTO608C Components

JBL GTO628 Coaxials

JBL P1224 12" dual 4ohm Subwoofers

Alpine MRV-F545 - Alpine MRX M100

Hand Built by Me 5.9cu.ft. slot ported enclosure tuned to 27hz

I have used regular resin that had to be mixed to build a sealed enclosure for an older punch 10. It came out pretty good. I still have it. So a quart per door? Judging by what you said, that is going by most people would use more than necessary? If so, that's cool. I was thinking roughly 1qt per panel. I have never used SMD Sunflash so I am excited to try it. A few more questions...

Fleece or Stretchy speaker grill cloth?

Chopped glass or sheets?

When do I add the extra layers of mat? (After each coat dries?)

How many layers of glass and resin?

Polyfill? Yes or no inside the panel?

The backing is going to be a 1/4" wood board.

Thanks again!!

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998

JBL GTO608C Components

JBL GTO628 Coaxials

fleece will be stronger and hold the resin better

chopped mat first to get your shapes then add woven mat to the flat areas

after each layer gets tacky or i guess you can do at after it dries (ive only every used normal resin)

as many as you feel makes it strong enough

ive never used polyfill but i would imagine it would increase midbass some

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

Yeah most people use way too much resin. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it is brittle (it's similar to rebar in concrete.) If you do it properly even several layers of glass will be translucent when it cures. Best way to do this is lay up one layer at a time with just enough resin to soak every fiber completely, then use a roller to compress it. Once you get to your last layer squeegee off the excess resin and let it cure.

Chop mat all day for you. Chop mat gives you much better stiffness and strength unless you pay careful attention to fiber orientation. You need to create a fiber matrix that has strength in several directions as well as making sure all your fibers are as long as possible, to put it simply. If you don't know how to do that chop mat will always be the better option for you.

Also definitely don't wait between layers. Lay them all up and once. Letting them cure even just a little bit can end in delamination down the road. Resin will not bond to already cured resin well, plus you will end up resin rich this way.

Sweet! Thank you. I know where the sun hits my garage floor so I will do all the layers as per your instruction all at once... sounds right for sure and makes sense.

Here is my original plan for the doors...

IMG_20160821_142317576_zpsofhm6xwh.jpg

Door-Panel-Concept_zpswyo0tzhn.jpg

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998

JBL GTO608C Components

JBL GTO628 Coaxials

Archived