Second Skin Audio

4th order blow through sub question

fordpride

sealed. high qts/ low ebp, lower fs, softer suspension.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

2:1 is definitely on the smaller side, but should play pretty flat. If you have room to spare, Id use it.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Inlighten me or a link please.

Here is the problem with ratios, they are a design shortcut and like all design shortcuts they make assumptions that can bite you in the ass if you don't know about them. Its not that ratios are always wrong, they aren't, the problem is they aren't always right.

Depending on the T/S parameters of a particular sub, one sub may give you a very flat and musical frequency response in a low ratio (say 2:1 or less) bandpass box, however a different sub could give you very peaky output and sound totally different in the exact same box. The other problem with ratios is they infer that making the rear chamber smaller has the same effect as making the front chamber larger, or vice-versa (both increase the ratio). However this is not the case and those two actions will have very different results.

Bandpass boxes are very tricky things compared to a regular ported box. Different people have different ways of designing them, with varied levels of success. To each their own. The way that works for me to is to size each chamber individually based on the parameters of the sub, the specs of the whole system, and what the desired performance is.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

If I understand that correctly you are saying take the parameters of the driver and design a sealed box then use those same parameters to design a ported box and put them together?

No.

What I'm saying is to take the T/S parameters and design a bandpass box with the proper sized sealed and ported chambers to do what you want it to do and don't worry about what the ratio is.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived